Question Unanswered: client server sql

hello,

we are trying to design a client server db, we want to hold the data at the client/station for the whole day to minimize network trafic before transfering it to the server at the end of the day. can you please give us a hint how to design the system.(since this is our first project !)
    thanks

Provided Answers: 1

Re: client server sql

Originally posted by yonas g tesfai
    hello,

we are trying to design a client server db, we want to hold the data at the client/station for the whole day to minimize network trafic before transfering it to the server at the end of the day. can you please give us a hint how to design the system.(since this is our first project !)
    thanks
    Can't help much with this, except to say that this is not what the term "client-server" usually means. Client-server is where you have an application on the client working with a database on the server in real time.

Presumably you are going to have to replicate your database design onto every client machine, and then build a batch process to copy the data up to the server at the end of the day. Sounds nasty.

When you say this is your first project, do you mean your first project with this requirement (but you are experienced in "normal" client-server apps), or your first database application project. If the latter, then I would question whether you have simply misunderstood the term client-server and are "barking up the wrong tree" with your approach! It is certainly a goal of client-server to minimise network traffic, but not to eradicate it entirely.

Question Storing data batchwise before transferring to server

Is there a way of storing data in a batch during the day and then uploading to the server at the end of the working day. Could this be done using a SQL client server system.

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Storing data batchwise before transferring to server

Originally posted by yonas g tesfai
    Is there a way of storing data in a batch during the day and then uploading to the server at the end of the working day. Could this be done using a SQL client server system.
    Sure. You just need to have a database on each client, with table structures that mirror the table structures on the server. At the end of the day you would then run a batch process to upload the data from the client to the server (insert new records, update updated records, delete deleted records).

I can imagine lots of issues with this (I have never actually done it). My primary concern would be: is this a multi-user system? If so, how will you handle the fact that users A and B have both inserted a new record with the same PK? Or that A and B both updated the same record with different values? Or that A updated a record and B deleted it? Will there also be a download to the client so it has up to date data for the next day?

On the other hand, if there is only 1 client, or if each client is responsible for a unique subset of records (i.e. users A and B WILL NOT and COULD NOT insert/update/delete the same records ever) then things are not so bad.

Please give more information about your requirements. I would reiterate that this is not standard practice in my experience of database systems. You may well have a valid requirement to do this, or you may just be makng a BIG mistake. At the moment, I don't have enough information to know which!