Unanswered: Dummy trying to link access to paradox

Hi,

I’m not a database developer, but would like to write a small VBA app either with excel or access 97 (or a combination) to export some data out of a paradox database (for my exercise bike) into another application. Once I get access to the tables, I should be able to fake my way through the VBA, but I’m having difficulty attaching to the tables with any Microsoft app.

The exercise bike uses a PC for control, and stores the data in a paradox database (at least that’s what I think). I assume some sort of runtime version of Paradox is used for the control software. The database files themselves are *.db, *.px, and one table also has a *.tv and *.fam extension.

I downloaded the BDE administrator and a program called “tablestruct” with which I’m able to browse the tables. According to tablestruct, all of the tables are level 5. I’ve also downloaded the Microsoft Valupack which is supposed to directly support paradox table import, and a number of ODBC drivers for the Jet engine thingy.

When trying to link in a table using the file:external data: link menu, I get an unexpected format error. When I try and link external tables under the “add” menu using ODBC I get an error about trying to use SQL to query an ISAM database or something like that.

Can anyone please help me out with this? If you’re interested, I can zip the tables and e-mail them as they’re quite small when zipped.

TIA,

Lightbulb Try with Access 2000 or 2002

Hi, Birko!

I'm not sure if you will succeed accessing Paradox table with "plain" Office 97 (that includes Excel97 and Access97, too ), but I know for sure that MS Access 2000 and 2002 include support for Paradox tables.
    Try with one of these.

Best regards,
    Botond

Re: Try with Access 2000 or 2002

Originally posted by botond.baika
    Hi, Birko!

I'm not sure if you will succeed accessing Paradox table with "plain" Office 97 (that includes Excel97 and Access97, too ), but I know for sure that MS Access 2000 and 2002 include support for Paradox tables.
    Try with one of these.

Best regards,
    Botond
    Interesting update - Just for grins, I tried doing the external query using Excel, and I have full access to the tables! Unfortunately some of the information is binary (BLOb?) and will require some massaging before it can be exported as text (the format my other software uses).

Also, not being a database dude, I was hoping to use accesses QBE feature to build the sql required to extract the data I'm interested in. Eventually I could implement that in Excel, but first I have to reverse engineer the database structure to figure out where what I want lives - difficult to do in excel, but much easier if you can look at the contents of the tables.

So, it seems that Office 97 _can_ read the tables, but access is being too finicky. Any more ideas?

i've notice that access can throw fits over odbc links abd excel works perfectly, and so does access when it pull the data through excel. not a perfect solution but a solution non the less is to pull all the data into excel and then pull it from excel into access
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.