Unanswered: Run Time Error 3426

I would very much appreciate some help with a problem that is absolutely driving me up the wall.

I have a VB6 application that uses an Access 97 database via DAO. For 95 % of my users the update procedure works without any problems at all.

However a select few suffer an immediate 3426 error on their first update ( during the update procedure). I have sent them new databases to rule out corruption but the problem returns on their very next update. This problem is unique to these users only and everyone else has no trouble whatsoever ?

Please Help !!!!

Hi RaceXpert,

I found this on MSN Transaction Server Page

3 - Runtime Error 3246
    The Application may not explicitly close connection object while in the middle of a transaction

I'd check to speed of the PCs that work and fail to see if it could be a response time issue.

If it works on their PC when you test it, try:

opening Access and then running your application,

closing Access while your application is running,

Perhaps they don't have enough system resources.

Last resort, insert error handling displays/code to help pinpoint the point of abend.

Good Luck,
    Bruce Baasch

Hi Bruce,

Many thanks for the reply but system resources don't seem to be an issue as those experencing problems have a variety of resources and people with far less resources are having no problems at all.

The only common theme seems to be Windows 98 ?

As we can't replicate the problem we just can't get anywhere with it.

Any further thoughts would be very much appreciated.

is that

on win 98 systems it dies

or
    all the systems that die are running win 98 but some others using 98 have no problems

:-) small distinction that can lead every body up the garden path
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Hi m.timoney,

Everyone else is fine ( including Windows 98 users ) so that may indeed have nothing to do with the problem.

I was only making the observation that of those that did have a problem Windows 98 seemed to be the only common thread.

Hope this helps !!

One of our users has used a "Registry Cleaner" which appears to have solved his particular problem. It does therefore point to a previously installed piece of software having caused this error for the rest of our small band of people who share this rare problem.

Does anyone have an idea as to which setting might be resopnsible ?

It appears that user was leading us up the garden path because their problem has returned.

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!