Red face Unanswered: 9i listener times out despite unlimited time

I'm trying to connect outside of the network to a 9i(9.2) database from a 9i(9.0). I continue to get an error that says TNS timesout. I've set the connect_timeout in the listener.ora file to 0. I've reviewed the log file and i'm getting connected. So i'm really baffled. I also checked the listener.trc file and well I can't read it. It appears as though i'm connected, then an nserror occurs along with much else that I can't read then it disconnects. I've spent a solid 30 hours on this and would greatly appreciate anyone's help.

Hi

I've seen this twice before where a firewall would timeout the connection due to inactivity. The way round this was to use a parameter in sqlnet.ora I think which causes sqlnet to send a packet every n seconds and thus keep the connection alive. I think it might be EXPIRE_TIME but look it up in the Net8 docs.

Alan

Originally posted by AlanP
    Hi

I've seen this twice before where a firewall would timeout the connection due to inactivity. The way round this was to use a parameter in sqlnet.ora I think which causes sqlnet to send a packet every n seconds and thus keep the connection alive. I think it might be EXPIRE_TIME but look it up in the Net8 docs.

Alan
    Thanks for the suggesting. It's just taking longer to timeout now. It was already set to 30 seconds and I changed it to 60. :-(