Unanswered: Xeon processor and Oracle Installation issues

Hello,

I searched the forum and couldn't find any information relating to Intel's Xeon processors and Oracle installation issues.

I've encountered issues with installing RDBMS 8.1.7 and Oracle Developer 6i Rel 1/2 on these boxes. It seems as if the jrew.exe program hangs and will not let you proceed with the install. Now, with that said, I know that there is a workaround where one must edit the .CL files with a '-nojit' switch (bypasses the jrew.exe).

Can somebody explain to me why this is occuring on the Xeon processors since it is not related to the P4 processor family at all? I thought is was based on the P3 family so the issues that P4's have, shoudl not arise....

Can somebody shed some light on this issue? Also, are there any 9i db server and app server installation issues on Xeon machines?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

It seems you have the "Detect Processor Type" bug. I didn't know it happened on Xeon's either.

One fix is to copy the install CD to some spare drive space and rename any SYMCJIT.DLL in the installation set and anywhere else on your machine to something else SYMCJIT.OLD for example.

Once the install is complete you can rename them back if you wish.

As you know it's a Java runtime bug, not an Oracle one.

HTH
    Bill

Yes, there is also another documented fix by editing the .cl files and including a '-nojit' switch. But that is such a tedious method.