Thread: Design issue.

Unanswered: Design issue.

I have a table called TCNO which is a table containing all the information concerning Microsoft patches. I have another table containing all the servers in my company and want to find a way to show what servers are installed with what TCNO's.

I have a many to many relationship with TCNO and Server so I need another table.

All the servers reside on Air Force Bases around the world.

How do I contruct my third table to link the others?

I have a drop down list on my main page that lists all the Bases and a command button for TCNO.

tbl.link:

linkID, autonumber
    tcnoID, lookup on tbl.tcno primary key
    serverID, lookup on tbl.server primary key

combo for the servers seems a good idea.

for tcnos, why not two lists: what's installed, what's not for the current server... capture a double-click on an entry in either list to switch it to the other.

izy

for the link table, make the primary key a compound key consisting of tcnoID and serverID -- in other words, do not declare linkid autonumber, it is superfluous

rudy
    http://rudy.ca/

How do I designate whether a server has a TCNO installed or not. I guess I need a Yes/No field somewhere but am unsure of how or where to implement.

How do you make a lookup field a primary key, it is null in my Install table.

bump

both your existing tables should have a primary key... if you don't already have an existing field in each table _guaranteed_ to be unique, add a field to each table:

tbl.tcno.tcnoID, type:autonumber

tbl.server.serverID, type:autonumber

in table design view right-click on the record-selector for each of these new fields (or an existing _guaranteed_ unique field) and make it the primary key.

tbl.link
    r937 is correct: you don't need tbl.link.linkID Setting up the compound-key is more elegant and guards against duplicating install records for a tcno/server pair, but it takes more howto explanation. Both ways will work. I use the lazy way and guard against duplicate records with the list-of-whats-in and list-of-whats-out approach.

After you've got a primary key in tbl.tcno and tbl.server, the lookup wizard should do the job for tbl.link.serverID and tbl.link.tcnoID

You don't need a yes/no: the existance of an entry in tbl.link ties the serverID to the tcnoID i.e. the serverID/tcnoID pair in a tbl.link record means that serverID has that tcnoID installed.

Querying tbl.link for a serverID returns all installed tcnoID for the given serverID.

Querying unmatched in tbl.tcno.tcnoID and the tcnoID returned by the above query returns all non-installed tcnoID for the given serverID

izy