Question Missing or broken VBE reference to the file 'dao2535.tlb'.

Hello everybody, first I want to thank all that replied to my previous questions. Now I have a new one. I'm running my Access 97 DB from a server. Some users are using Access 97 some XP. Here is the problem. The DB works awesome in 97 and creates some funny stuff on XP.

For example, in XP when the user logs in and doesn't convert the DB (can't convert it because if he did the 97 users would be screwed) and then works in the DB, a new tiny table is created for Conversion error that reads "Missing or broken VBE reference to the file 'dao2535.tlb'." I have not encountered any issues with effectivity of the DB but I don't like having errors. If anybody has any idea what I can do and also if anybody knows a good website that talks about conversions (97-XP) or multi-Access-versions users, I would be very thankful. Thank you

Re: Missing or broken VBE reference to the file 'dao2535.tlb'.

There is a reference link in your modules .... This error is due to the fact the the db was developed on a different OS ... the link is probably referencing C:\WINNT\SYSTEM or C:\WIN98\SYSTEM ... and in XP this path does not exist.

3 Options here ....

1. On all machines using XP create the identical path as the link requires and add the file to this path ... WAY BAD SOLUTION ... TOO TIME CONSUMING

2. Split your database .... Have two front ends ... one for 97 one for XP mod the XP front end and change the link to where XP file is .... NOT AS BAD ... BUT STILL BAD ...

3. Move dao2535.tlb to the same location as the database. Then mod the database by changing the refernce to point to the file in the database folder and not the C:\WINXXXX\SYSTEM folder .... MUCH EASIER ....

Hope this helps ...

Originally posted by vojtab
    Hello everybody, first I want to thank all that replied to my previous questions. Now I have a new one. I'm running my Access 97 DB from a server. Some users are using Access 97 some XP. Here is the problem. The DB works awesome in 97 and creates some funny stuff on XP.

For example, in XP when the user logs in and doesn't convert the DB (can't convert it because if he did the 97 users would be screwed) and then works in the DB, a new tiny table is created for Conversion error that reads "Missing or broken VBE reference to the file 'dao2535.tlb'." I have not encountered any issues with effectivity of the DB but I don't like having errors. If anybody has any idea what I can do and also if anybody knows a good website that talks about conversions (97-XP) or multi-Access-versions users, I would be very thankful. Thank you
    Mona

This post provided a valuable clue in fixing my own problem which stemmed from the missing dao2535. We transferred our old Access 97 db from a Win98 machine to an Access2003 db on a XP machine. When we ran the conversion we received the same error message, but also were unable to print some reports because of the missing file...

Just a note on Mona's statement:

"the link is probably referencing C:\WINNT\SYSTEM or C:\WIN98\SYSTEM ... and in XP this path does not exist."

Actually the path on our Win98 machine is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO and it DOES exist and the simplest fix was just to copy dao2535.tlb from the old machine into the same folder in the new machine. I then ran the conversion again and all issues were resolved.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Rookzero
    This post provided a valuable clue in fixing my own problem which stemmed from the missing dao2535. We transferred our old Access 97 db from a Win98 machine to an Access2003 db on a XP machine. When we ran the conversion we received the same error message, but also were unable to print some reports because of the missing file...

Just a note on Mona's statement:

"the link is probably referencing C:\WINNT\SYSTEM or C:\WIN98\SYSTEM ... and in XP this path does not exist."

Actually the path on our Win98 machine is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO and it DOES exist and the simplest fix was just to copy dao2535.tlb from the old machine into the same folder in the new machine. I then ran the conversion again and all issues were resolved.

Thanks!
    You're welcome. On that note, be aware that while you are working in your own environment and deplyoing in your own office ... the copy solution is easy. However, if you are going to "shrink wrap" and deploy, then you might need to put it in the same folder as the db to make life easier
    Mona

dao2535.tlb is not needed

I know I'm coming to the party *WAY* late, so this is really for anyone that is currently encountering this issue.

Instead of addressing the problem by adding a missing file, you may want to read this:

microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted: Re: Conversion Problems

which reads as follows:

Remove the reference to dao2535.tlb. That's a really old type library that
    stopped working after Access 97 (it was there to ensure backwards
    compatibility when you converted an Access 2.0 database to Access 97)

As long as you have a reference set to Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library, you
    should be okay.

You may run into the same issue with utility.mda if you are converting to Access 2007. It is no longer needed in Access 2007 and the reference should simply be removed from the project.

Typically, if Microsoft is no longer shipping it, it's not needed.

JP