Unanswered: Where do i start? (newbie alert)

I've been using MS Access for years for a a supplement database to my companies SOP & Accounts package, Sage Line 50. As the years have gone on i have added & bolted on to this database and it has got to the stage that i want to start again.

Currently the "front end" is a selection of bad looking forms & dodgy reports but recently i have decided that i want to transfer the front end of our database "into" the web browser and make available on our intranet.

So I recently found a copy of SQL Server 7.0 wasn't installed on our server (MS SBS4.5) and have started looking into what & how it works (hence finding this site)

With my situation being that im starting again but have some previous experience .... can anyone tell me where i should look for beginners introduction to SQL & .ASP front end ..... or perhaps someone can let me know if i`m barking up the wrong tree?

Many thanks

Geoff

Which version of asp are you using (asp 2/3/.Net ) ? Why do you want to create an internet application vs a windows application ? What is the purpose of the application ?

At the moment i`m not using .ASP at all .. don't even know where to look to find out.

The database will be running on a small network of 10-15 users.

Basically i'd like a bit more security than i get with MS Access & would like to be able to allow remote users to access the database via a website - hence the idea on a web application front end.

From looking around a bit more it seems that i want to make a SQL server database that has a windows application as a front end.

Having started looking at the basics of SQL server i am confident that i can slowly get to grips with how it works, and the sky appears to be the limit, which brings to the users!! I want to give my users a smart dedicated application .... which software should be used to create for the front end with both local & remote users in mind?

This depends - Do you want a Windows application or a Web application ? Will you stay with sql server 7 or use sql server 2000 ? If you do not go with a Web application - how are you planning on letting them access your application remotely ?

At the moment we only have SQL7 so i guess i`ll stick to that.

I guess it will be possible to have a windows application for network users and then remote users will connect to a web application ... both of which will look at the same database?

Perhaps it would be easier to go with a web only application to avoid doubling the work.

Originally posted by rnealejr
    Which version of asp are you using (asp 2/3/.Net ) ? Why do you want to create an internet application vs a windows application ? What is the purpose of the application ?

I am going to post some reference material for you to help but I have to ask a couple of questions. Which version of IIS (internet information services) are you running ? Which version of windows are you running ?

Version is 3.0

Is it asp 3 or iis 3 ?

If it is asp3, then check out beginning active server pages 3.0, professional active server pages 3.0 and Beginning ASP Databases
    (all are published by wrox).