Unanswered: Does Oracle support INFORMATION_SCHEMA ?

I´m new to Oracle and to SQL. I learned, that I can get information about the structure of a database (which tables, views exist etc.) from INFORMATION_SCHEMA, which was introduced in SQL92. In Microsoft SQL Server something like this works: select * from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.tables to get all the information about the tables, which are stored in the database. The same thing doesn´t seem to work with Oracle 9.2. Is there another way to get this information ? I heard something about usertables. Does Oracle support INFORMATION_SCHEMA like it is defined in SQL92 ?

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Does Oracle support INFORMATION_SCHEMA ?

No, but Oracle has its own data dictionary views that do the same job. For example, USER_TABLES has information about all tables owned by the current user, ALL_TABLES has information about all tables the user can access. To see a full list of data dictionary views:

SELECT * FROM dict;

Also, see documentation here:

http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...5dicti.htm#233

Re: Does Oracle support INFORMATION_SCHEMA ?

hi,

I am not sure if this will work, I think it works for Oracle 8i, but try
    select * from tab;

This should give you the list of table and views available.

ada

Originally posted by bischi
    I´m new to Oracle and to SQL. I learned, that I can get information about the structure of a database (which tables, views exist etc.) from INFORMATION_SCHEMA, which was introduced in SQL92. In Microsoft SQL Server something like this works: select * from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.tables to get all the information about the tables, which are stored in the database. The same thing doesn´t seem to work with Oracle 9.2. Is there another way to get this information ? I heard something about usertables. Does Oracle support INFORMATION_SCHEMA like it is defined in SQL92 ?
    the one and only ada17