Unanswered: Need to show how many records result from query

Hi all!

I have a form (based on a table) wherein there is a list box populated with records from a query. On the form, I need to include a text box that shows the how many records are in the record set resulting from that query. I would think this should be simple to achieve, but I’m not coming up with it.

What I know of Access has been by trial and error out of immediate necessity, since building databases is only a small portion of my varied responsibilities. The assistance of those more experienced than I am is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

sykayda

A brute force approach would be to open the query as a recordset and then counting the # of entries in a particular field.

Laeskia

Cool

Thanks, Laeskia!

Perhaps not the most efficient way of doing it, but because of the way the whole thing works, I ended up creating a new query in order to count the records and used a subform to display the results. Everything works smoothly now. Don't know why it caused me the frustration it did.

Thanks for your assistance!

sykayda

great if it works for you, but there is a sweeter way:

YourAnswer = DCount("[aFieldNameInYourQuery]", "yourQueryName")

There's a bunch of these domain functions (max, min etc etc) that are really useful... well worth investigating!

izy

Must be that pre-full moon mind numbing!

I had tried that (before I resorted to more cumbersome methods), and I must've been making some stupid little mistake that I just wasn't seeing, 'cuz it wasn't working. Now it's behaving perfectly, as I suspected it should.

I'm relieved to know it was some error of mine; I was beginning to think I didn't understand how to use the functions.

Thanks, izy!

- sykayda