Unanswered: logs gone haywire... or, am I just stupid?

Probably I'm just ignorant, but why is it that when I connect to my database, hundreds of megabytes of log files are written? When I change a database configuration, hundreds of megabytes of log files are written? This database isn't that big (the backup fits on a CD; biggest table has 200k lines, maybe.), and I've never seen this before.

In another example, I did a select query (NOT an update), and the database wrote hundreds of megabytes of data until it crashed my 512 MB computer. (Previously, I had trouble running a delete query, but enlarging the log sizes fixed this.)

And how do I view the content of the logs? The help docs say I need to use the "Satellite Administration Center", but there's no option to select my database in that tool.

I hope that makes sense.

I've enlarged my log file sizes and I think that circular logging is enabled, so I'm mystified. Thanks for any general help you can give me.

Re: logs gone haywire... or, am I just stupid?

Originally posted by webGuy
    Probably I'm just ignorant, but why is it that when I connect to my database, hundreds of megabytes of log files are written? When I change a database configuration, hundreds of megabytes of log files are written? This database isn't that big (the backup fits on a CD; biggest table has 200k lines, maybe.), and I've never seen this before.

In another example, I did a select query (NOT an update), and the database wrote hundreds of megabytes of data until it crashed my 512 MB computer. (Previously, I had trouble running a delete query, but enlarging the log sizes fixed this.)

And how do I view the content of the logs? The help docs say I need to use the "Satellite Administration Center", but there's no option to select my database in that tool.

I hope that makes sense.

I've enlarged my log file sizes and I think that circular logging is enabled, so I'm mystified. Thanks for any general help you can give me.
    Heys,

After you increased the size of the log files, did you remember to set them back the way they were? And check the number of initial primary and secondary log files. And when your database is active, it opens the log files and it΄s size is according to the values specified in the configuration parameter. Try setting them a bit smaller and see if that solves your problem.

About viewing the log files, I have no idea.

HTH.
    Fernando

Thanks. Actually, I reinstalled the operating system. I was getting blue screens of kernel errors and memory dumps. I will see if this works.

Thanks for the help.