Unanswered: automate from date/time

Is there a way to automate functions (i.e. maintenance) based on the date, change of date, time of day, or the passing of a set length of time (in hours, not milliseconds)? I want to schedule maintenance / other functions based on preferable the length of time that has passed since a specific event has taken place. I haven't looked int this much, since this is still in the planning stages (I'm currently building up to this point), so I may just need a few suggestions only.

a millisecond timer can be overkill.
    can't think of anything else except capturing events.

how about something like:

tbl_maintain
    doWhatText
    lastDoneDateTime
    maxDelayHours
    doNextLoginBool
    doNextExitBool

capture some regular event that doesn't have the user panting for a response from your code (e.g. frm_Switchboard.load) and run through tbl.maintain to set-up jobs or run the job immediately if it's urgent.

izy

I'm still kind of unsure what you mean izyrider? If I understand correctly you set a table (maintain) with 5 fields (named doWhatText,
    lastDoneDateTime, maxDelayHours, doNextLoginBool, doNextExitBool), right? You also suggest that I use an event that the user won't notice the performance drop (nice suggestion on the switchboard load). I guess I'm having a very dense monent here because I'm not sure how I would schedule an event to happen from there. My biggest use / need for this is to perform system maintenance @ midnight each night. I have several temp tables that I use to remove incomplete transactions for the day.

"...to perform system maintenance @ midnight each night"
    i had the (wrong) impression you were trying to schedule something to happen every hour or so during the user session.

for your midnight maintenence, how about...
    ...make a separate access application that links to the tables in the main application and does the maintenence you need. schedule this separate access application to run at midnight using the the windows thingummy called "Planificateur de tâches" in my french system (probably task scheduler or somesuch in english).

izy

Nice suggestion. I was close to that idea a few times, but I shied away because my system administrator isn't very much help and that will require admin priv's to accomplish on my network. So I was hoping to try to stay within the code (or I may switch to VB6 instead of Access for the front end) if at all possible. I will in the meantime start the prelim work with the admin "Guru??????"

Thanks,

William