Unanswered: Database list comes slow, what tod o?

Hey there,

a question about my configuration.
    We have a sql server 7, where all our database are. If i use enterprise manager from sql server 7, I get no problems with downloading the list of the db's. But when I connect with the EM of sql server 2000, it takes about 10 minutes to get the list. I got that with win2000 and with winXp.
    My college doesn't has that problem.
    Does anyone has a sollution for it?
    Or is it better to use the EM 70?
    Thanks

Smile Re: Database list comes slow, what tod o?

Hi,
    Here it is in fact slow due to several reasons and one of these reasons could be the problem. Generally, and most of the time the low speed in the system could be caused by the small capacity on your hard disk drive and the small capacity of the memory. The more space you have the faster database you have as you know. I had the same problem one month back whenever select a large view table it takes long time to inquire about its fields. The server we have was running out of space and getting all the time with memory loading. A week ago we purchased a new server big performance and now I face no problem from this point of view, this could be one of the reasons.
    There is another reason but I have no idea if this is applied on your case or not!! it is known that whenever migrating from SQL7 to SQL 2K SERVER we have to update the compatibility level by executing the following command EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel <your dbname>,80

I wish ya good luck.

Alzebdeh

Originally posted by Nux
    Hey there,

a question about my configuration.
    We have a sql server 7, where all our database are. If i use enterprise manager from sql server 7, I get no problems with downloading the list of the db's. But when I connect with the EM of sql server 2000, it takes about 10 minutes to get the list. I got that with win2000 and with winXp.
    My college doesn't has that problem.
    Does anyone has a sollution for it?
    Or is it better to use the EM 70?
    Thanks