Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: delete a record in access97

Hi All

my access97 database uses a main form with a sub form.

when i delete a record, only the main form part is deleted and the sub form part is still there?

I am using one of the access default buttons to delete, I havent written my own code to do this.

can you help?

ta
    the one and only ada17

Are the records made up from multiple tables so that it is only being deleted in one place? if thats not the case try to put in
    Docmd.requery "subform_name" after the delete step in the code. That should refresh the subform and the data should then be gone
    Jim

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

What I meant was that the records are from two tables, the table that the main form is made of, and that which the sub form is made of. When I delete the record in the form view, it deletes both the main part and the sub form part.

But when i look at the tables, in the main table the customer details have been deleted as required. But in the sub form's base table, the information is there for that record no, without the record no existing in the main table.

Note, that the tables do not share a relationship. This is because it gives me problems like, you can't to this form, a related record is required in the sub table, etc.

hopy u can help

ada
    the one and only ada17

if you have a forigen key (something on both records that are the same like a customer number or part number) then you can write a second delete query

delete * from subform_table where customer_id = forms![main_form]![customer_id]

add that before the first delete step in the code to the button and that should do it
    Jim

Sorry, i don't understand,

Docmd.requery "subform_name" after the delete step in the code.
    and

I am not using a button which I have written the code for, i am using access' standard one.

If I was to make a button and write the code for, I do not know which of the above two codes to use.
    I was thinking something like

delete_click()
    delete current record in mainForm
    delete current record in subForm
    end sub

so that the same record will be deleted in both the main and the sub form.

hope u can help

Originally posted by JDionne
    if you have a forigen key (something on both records that are the same like a customer number or part number) then you can write a second delete query

add that before the first delete step in the code to the button and that should do it
    Jim
    the one and only ada17

sorry forgot to mention the field they have in common

it is the customer number
    the one and only ada17

i have neaver used delete current record, so i dont know if that works
    a simple way to do it can be this:

delete_button_onClick
    docmd.runsql "delete * from [subform_table] where customer_id = [forms]![main_form]![customer_ID_text_box]
    docmd.runsql "delete * from [mainform_table] where customer_id = [forms]![main_form]![customer_ID_text_box]

me.refresh

end sub

im fairly sure that will do what you need

Jim

Hi, big problem

I amended the code you gave me to this

Private Sub Delete_Click()
    DoCmd.RunSQL "delete * from [tblCustomerQuestionnaire] where CIS_Number = [forms]![tblCustomerDetails]![CIS_Number]"
    DoCmd.RunSQL "delete * from [tblCustomerDetails] where CIS_Number = [forms]![tblCustomerDetails]![CIS_Number]"

Me.Refresh

End Sub

but this has deleted every single record in the main form and every single record in the sub form

help!!
    the one and only ada17

All the data is gone? or did the form not refresh correctly and the data that didnt apply to the customer id is still in the tables
    i wasnt quite sure about that me.refresh but that sql code is farly strait forward, unless you ahve records that share the same id.
    let me know

Originally posted by ada17
    Hi, big problem

I amended the code you gave me to this

Private Sub Delete_Click()
    DoCmd.RunSQL "delete * from [tblCustomerQuestionnaire] where CIS_Number = [forms]![tblCustomerDetails]![CIS_Number]"
    DoCmd.RunSQL "delete * from [tblCustomerDetails] where CIS_Number = [forms]![tblCustomerDetails]![CIS_Number]"

Me.Refresh

End Sub

but this has deleted every single record in the main form and every single record in the sub form

help!!

easier method, that works in a2000 and i think in a97 is to create a releation ship from the db window and on the relationship turn on cascade update and delete that will automaticaly wipe all records links to the deleted record
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Hi I made a mistake when I amended the code, where u suggested the form name, I put the table name, thats why it deleted all.

I have now corrected that problem, but as always, there is something else.

It shows the message as if it is about to delete a record, but instead if

'you are about to delete 1 row(s) from the specified table', it says
    'you are about to delete 0 row(s) from the specified table', and says this twice. I press yes twice, but it just stays at the same form, and deletes nothing.

ada
    the one and only ada17

DoCmd.SetWarnings False

put that at the begining of the sub procedure

Originally posted by ada17
    Hi I made a mistake when I amended the code, where u suggested the form name, I put the table name, thats why it deleted all.

I have now corrected that problem, but as always, there is something else.

It shows the message as if it is about to delete a record, but instead if

'you are about to delete 1 row(s) from the specified table', it says
    'you are about to delete 0 row(s) from the specified table', and says this twice. I press yes twice, but it just stays at the same form, and deletes nothing.

ada

This stopped the warning, but it still doesnt delete it!

ada

Originally posted by JDionne
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False

put that at the begining of the sub procedure
    the one and only ada17

grrrr. no other errors?? im at a loss. the previous post about the relationships is the only other thing that I can think of but ill keep thinking
    Jim

When i did this earlier, it didnt help. in fact, everytime i try to add a new record, it says 'You cant add or change a record because a related record is required in table tblCustomerDetails' which is the main form

i dont understand this as the first thing i change is in the main form.

i am lost too, but i have to get this sorted (users will include visually impaired people) and it has been doing my head in.

any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by m.timoney
    easier method, that works in a2000 and i think in a97 is to create a releation ship from the db window and on the relationship turn on cascade update and delete that will automaticaly wipe all records links to the deleted record
    the one and only ada17