Thread: Standby server

Question Unanswered: Standby server

I ve recently read an MSQLserver 2000 Pocket consultant and found out that I can use a backup pc as a standby server. The idea is quite intriguing as I do have spare pc in the LAN I am working in .
    This standby server will only be "up" if the primary fails (I don't want any server load balancing features )
    however I might be missing a few points :
    If I add new databases in the primary server ,will they appear in the standby server ?
    If I want backup history and rotation is it efficient to use existing backup mechnism and just make a C proggy to compress and rotate the backups ?

Re: Standby server

Hi, as per I understand, if you setup another server for backup purposes (as you called standby server) there you can add only a new group enabling the primary server to be seen.
    I do not know if there is a special way enabling you to have all the databases once at a time to be there in the standby server. All what you need is that to setup a differetial backup plan in the management job transferring the data from primary server to backup server. Otherwise, you'll need to do database restore from primary to standby one.
    see this example:

BACKUP DATABASE [Employees] TO TAPE = N'\\.\Tape0' WITH NOINIT , NOUNLOAD , NAME = N'Employees backup', NOSKIP , STATS = 10, DESCRIPTION = N'Employees FULL BACKUP', NOFORMAT

Since the differential backup can be directed to the tape as a destination, it can be also redirected to the standby pc as per my understanding.

Good luck.

Alzebdeh

Originally posted by FabioQ
    I ve recently read an MSQLserver 2000 Pocket consultant and found out that I can use a backup pc as a standby server. The idea is quite intriguing as I do have spare pc in the LAN I am working in .
    This standby server will only be "up" if the primary fails (I don't want any server load balancing features )
    however I might be missing a few points :
    If I add new databases in the primary server ,will they appear in the standby server ?
    If I want backup history and rotation is it efficient to use existing backup mechnism and just make a C proggy to compress and rotate the backups ?

Use LogShipping

If you are planning to maintain a Stand By Server then the easiest thing to do is to start using Log Shipping.

What version of Sql Server you are running 1. Standard 2.Enterprise??
    If it is Enterprise then you will get all the tools reqd with the sql server itself.
    If it's a Standard version then you need to write couple of stored procedure,which is very easy. All it does is to take the regular backup on the production box and apply the same backup to the stand by box, you can define the interval for the backup.

It's a great concept and this way we are mainting 4 Sql Server in the production environment without using the clustering.

Read "SQL Server Resource Kit" for more on this.