Red face Unanswered: Unable to connect using TCP/IP

I have a SQL server 7.0 sp4 running for the past three years .. listening on TCP/IP, Multiprotocol and named pipes. Suddenly, since the last couple of days, we cannot connect using TCP/IP.

The only change I made recently was move tempdb to another drive to resolve some disk space issues.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Try this

1) try pinging the server from a client if you can't ping it then obviously you have a network/hardware problem.

2) if you passes then run makepipe from the client side and readpipe from the server if this works then you have yet again a network problem DNS etc etc

3) if 2 works then you can always use named pipes on both clent and server or multiprotocol on BOTH sides.

4) if 1 works then check your ports is is still 14xx or whatever you set it too, are both clent (sending to) and the server listening on the same ports? hmmmmmm
    TECMAN

Wink Unable to connect using TCP/IP

Thanks Tecman, but I should have spelt it out a little more clearly. here goes :

I have tried all the obvious options, namely :

1. Pinging : Successful : Both, with servername and FQDN.
    2. Server network utility : Have all three installed and running (
    Multiprotocol / Named pipes / TCP/IP ).
    3. Multi protocol and named pipes are fine and I can connect.

It looks as though SQL Server is not listening on the TCP/IP port 1433 only. I have not tried changing the port, but I will. If there is a port conflict in that some other program may be using 1433 and starts before SQL Server.

Well 1433 is the default but its important that both the client and the server are using the same port be it 1433 or not. Actually for security reasons keeping 1433 is not a good idea

Anyway have you tried just using the ip address instead of the server name. If this works you may have a dns problem
    TECMAN

Unhappy SQL Server not listening on TCP/IP

Thanks again ... I was thinking of the DNS problem .. As a matter of fact, when I used IP to connect and it was succesful, I also initially thought it was a DNS problem .. But when I tried pinging both with just the server name and also with the fully qualified domain name, I was able to ping .. I tried from several boxes, on different subnets etc. Pinging is fine, and resolves with the correct IP address.

This would disqualify the DNS factor, would'nt you think ?

By the way, I also tried changing port numbers from 1433 to 1500 and restarted the SQL server .. then tried connecting using TCP/IP and the new port number - Client configuration.. I still cannot connect.

This leads me to believe that SQL Server has stopped listening on TCP/IP altogether ..I dont know why, though.

Settings

Are you checking both the client side settings, port etc and the server side.
    TECMAN

Cannot connect tcp/ip

I have. I use the server network utility on the server to change port numbers that I want SQL server to listen to and then change the client settings on a client machine using the client network utility ....