Talking Unanswered: passing a password

Hi guys

I have a shell script that connects to postgres, runs a bunch of sql scripts and disconnects. I would like to use a password to connect.

How can I do it ?

Right now it is simply

psql -U $user -d $database

\i scripts.sql

\q

I dont really want to keep the pg_hba.conf setings as trust for localmachines but it looks like that is how i have to do it ??

password

Set your in you pg_hba.conf file only at teh line where local is defined the authentification from trust to md5,ident ...

and then it should prompt you the password
    http://www.postgresql.org
    --Postgresql is the only kind of thing--

I guess I didnt explain it properly.

Currently I have trust authentication on the local machine......which I do not want.

I want to change it to md5. This i can do, however any scripts that I had that ran in the database will not work as you cannot specify a password in command line to access psql.

Is there a method to allow you to pass a password to psql at the command line? the same way as you can specify a user with the -U, the -W only prompts you for a password and does not allow you to set the password in the script.

Well...

Let me know if this works for you:

in your shell script add

export PGPASSWORD=<the password of your db>

before your call to pg_sql.

There are probably some big security issues with doing this, but if you must do some automated cron stuff with postgres this may help you out until you find a better solution.