Unanswered: easiest migration 8.1.5 (NT) to 8.1.7 (W2K)

What is the easiest way to migrate objects, authority and data from Oracle 8.1.5 on NT 4 to Oracle 8.1.7 on Win 2000? First, starting with tools delivered by Oracle like export/import and then moving into 3rd party tools like TOAD.

The easiest and safest method is to:
    1. Install Oracle 8.1.5 and 8.1.7 on your W2K box.
    2. Clone your 8.1.5 database to your W2K box.
    3. Use Migration Assistant to upgrade your 8.1.5 to 8.1.7 on your W2K box.

This way, you have an instant backup plan; continue using the old box.

Re: easiest migration 8.1.5 (NT) to 8.1.7 (W2K)

I would say the easiest way is to export from 8.1.5 and then import into into 8.1.7. If I were working on a new box, I wouldn't want to install a version of Oracle I was never going to use.

Nothing is simpler than export/import. Works everytime.

HTH,
    Patrick

Originally posted by kestner
    What is the easiest way to migrate objects, authority and data from Oracle 8.1.5 on NT 4 to Oracle 8.1.7 on Win 2000? First, starting with tools delivered by Oracle like export/import and then moving into 3rd party tools like TOAD.

Nothing is more error prone than export/import. (excpet for re-keying the data, perhaps). Besides, have you ever used export/import on a 200G database?

I have been fortunate enough to not have to move a 200 Gb database. Unfortunately, I have had the luck of getting a new CIO who likes AIX better than Solaris and so we are moving around twenty production databases from Win NT, Win 2000, and Solaris to AIX.

Export/Import is our best (an probably only) choice. The largest database is around 30 Gb, so it hasn't been too bad. Halfway through and the only real problems I have had are when I don't precreate database links and procedures or packages don't get moved over because the links aren't there. TOAD allows me to find the missing procs and move them over.

I have had no complaints about incorrect data. I would actually be interested in your bad experiences with export/import.

Patrick

Originally posted by marist89
    Nothing is more error prone than export/import. (excpet for re-keying the data, perhaps). Besides, have you ever used export/import on a 200G database?

Originally posted by buckeye234
    I have had no complaints about incorrect data. I would actually be interested in your bad experiences with export/import.
    I have had numerous experiences where the data was exported without any errors and then an import failed because he thought the export file was corrupt. Several times I have encountered this error when this is the client's only method of "backup" and they were SOL.

Sure, exp/imp is the only method to cross platforms, I'm not arguing that. However, a straight migration on the same platform is much easier for beginners with the Migration Assistant. That's just my opinion, your mileage may vary.