Angry Unanswered: URGENT!! Can a Virus do this? !!URGENT!!

Dear All,

I've see a situation on one of our huge networks before, where users connected to an Oracle database via D2K Forms get disconnected several times a day without a trace of information!! I've found that a number of viruses/worms existed on that network, as Drive Shares were used, like Klez and Nimda and SirCam, etc.

I've read in one of the websites that some of those worms use a mass-mailing or copying techniques on infected computers, so I suspected them for the disconnection problem. Surprisingly, after cleaning the whole network the disconnection stopped!! I strongly beleive that those worms contributed to the problem.

Well, now I've got the same issue in another network, and the customer, this time, needs proof that it could be because of the viruses!! I just can't find any site or documents that can proof my point, though I know for sure that it is true, I've done it before!!!

Did anyone come across such a thing in the past? Does anyone know where I can find information DIRECTLY pointing to Oracle issues related to such worms? I've searched a lot for documentation about the worms themselves, but they were all generic kinda documents, like the ones you get from www.symantec.com for instance.

We are NOT using Database Profiles to logout inactive sessions automatically! Moreover, DCD is not used either!!!

Anyone, PLEASE reply fast!!

Thanks.

Ashraf.

Re: URGENT!! Can a Virus do this? !!URGENT!!

Hi, this disconnection might not be due to the virus.
    this could be due the size of your SGA.
    check if the size of your sga is greater than the size of your
    physical memory.
    you check this by logging in as system/manager
    and executing the following query.

SELECT ROUND(SUM(value)/(1024*1024),2)||'MB' SGA FROM v$sga

This query will return the Sga Size in megabytes.
    then compare it with your physical memeory size.

Originally posted by ashraf
    Dear All,

I've see a situation on one of our huge networks before, where users connected to an Oracle database via D2K Forms get disconnected several times a day without a trace of information!! I've found that a number of viruses/worms existed on that network, as Drive Shares were used, like Klez and Nimda and SirCam, etc.

I've read in one of the websites that some of those worms use a mass-mailing or copying techniques on infected computers, so I suspected them for the disconnection problem. Surprisingly, after cleaning the whole network the disconnection stopped!! I strongly beleive that those worms contributed to the problem.

Well, now I've got the same issue in another network, and the customer, this time, needs proof that it could be because of the viruses!! I just can't find any site or documents that can proof my point, though I know for sure that it is true, I've done it before!!!

Did anyone come across such a thing in the past? Does anyone know where I can find information DIRECTLY pointing to Oracle issues related to such worms? I've searched a lot for documentation about the worms themselves, but they were all generic kinda documents, like the ones you get from www.symantec.com for instance.

We are NOT using Database Profiles to logout inactive sessions automatically! Moreover, DCD is not used either!!!

Anyone, PLEASE reply fast!!

Thanks.

Ashraf.