Unanswered: Backup server crashes frequently

hi, I don't know why but fequently ( practically nearly every day )
    The sybase backup server fallsover and fails to take a backup . I restart it again and then serveral hours later when it supposes to take a scheduled backup it fallsover again . I have checked the interface file that is fine .Checked the the sysservers table entry is there.
    I get errors 7205 and 7235 . Looked on the sybase website , not particularly helpful , tried some of the solutions they had , all indications are fine . This one is a bit of a mystery . Even after running the backup server I checked netstat -a to see if the port was used by something else and it is not .
    help !

Hiya,

If there is abackup server core dump, probably a good idea to supply that to Sybase Support.

Also, when it fails try doing the following SYB_BACKUP...sp_who, this is tell you if it is still alive.

Cheers
    Willy

Re: Backup server crashes frequently

Originally posted by sarnie72
    hi, I don't know why but fequently ( practically nearly every day )
    The sybase backup server fallsover and fails to take a backup . I restart it again and then serveral hours later when it supposes to take a scheduled backup it fallsover again . I have checked the interface file that is fine .Checked the the sysservers table entry is there.
    I get errors 7205 and 7235 . Looked on the sybase website , not particularly helpful , tried some of the solutions they had , all indications are fine . This one is a bit of a mystery . Even after running the backup server I checked netstat -a to see if the port was used by something else and it is not .
    help !
    Just a comment; it's probably unrelated to your problem.
    In some ASE versions (I know it happened in 11.0.3.3)
    the backupserver process didn't "daemonize" well.
    So, if launched from a startup script, it couldn't detach
    from the script and died when the script finished.
    We had to code
    nohup startserver -f ...
    instead of just
    startserver -f ...
    And, more important, inside the RUN file,
    nohup backupserver ...
    instead of
    backupserver ...

Regards,
    Mariano CorralModified post
    Last edited by corral; 12-27-02 at 06:49.