Unanswered: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT]SQL0107N

Hello All,

I am try giving rights to the group "ADMINISTRATORS" to a table created in the DB2DBG schema, I get the error

SQL0107N The name "ADMINISTRATORS" is too long.
    The maximum length is "8" SQLSTATE=42622.

IBM DB2 v7.2 running on Windows 2000 server.

In fact I am running the DDLs which were extracted out of a live database. But I am not able to understand why I am getting stuck at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help that may come out from you.

Regards,
    Madhavi
    Last edited by mmullagiri; 12-26-02 at 04:56.

Hi,

This is quite straightforward that you can not use the name longer than 8 characters.

Check the SPM_NAME variable of your database manager.

This has to be within 8 character length.

Cheers,
    Prashant

Hi,

Thanks ;-) ... I guess my question got conveyed wrongly.
    Of course I do understand what that error means

Firstly, I am amazed at such a feature (I feel limitation is an appropriate word to describe this) in DB2.

Secondly, I wanted to know if anyone knows any workarounds to overcome this.

Regards,
    Madhavi

Originally posted by dahalkar_p
    Hi,

This is quite straightforward that you can not use the name longer than 8 characters.

Check the SPM_NAME variable of your database manager.

This has to be within 8 character length.

Cheers,

well, I would not call it a limitation; every software prodcut out there comes with some rules, and so does DB2!!!

To your question of a workaround, I think you should create another group with name consist of maximum of eight characters and then assign the privileges to that group.

Paul

Originally posted by mmullagiri
    Hi,

Firstly, I am amazed at such a feature (I feel limitation is an appropriate word to describe this) in DB2.

Regards,
    Madhavi

Madhavi

The limitation I feel was because Unix has traditionally supported user/group names to max 8 characters , though some of the flavours around, nowadays support >8 ...

Paul's workaround suggestion was what I used to do ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by mmullagiri
    Hi,

Regards,
    Madhavi

Exclamation SQL0107N

HI, I try to use Query Patroller of IBM and I received the message [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2] SQL0107N Il nome
    "db2qpSTP!spGetEffectiveUserProfile" is too long. Maximun length 18 characters. SQLSTATE=42622.
    Somebody could help me ?
    Thanks.
    Francesco.

I believe that the 8 character limitation goes all the way back to OS/2 Database Manager (the original database product that DB2 UDB for UNIX, LINUX, and Windows has evolved into).

OS/2 Database Manager was not originally sold as a separate product, it was bundled with OS/2 Communications Manager as part of OS/2 Extended Edition.

Talking

Originally posted by Marcus_A
    I believe that the 8 character limitation goes all the way back to OS/2 Database Manager (the original database product that DB2 UDB for UNIX, LINUX, and Windows has evolved into).

OS/2 Database Manager was not originally sold as a separate product, it was bundled with OS/2 Communications Manager as part of OS/2 Extended Edition.
    Thank you Marcus for your answer. I 've missed to inform you we have DB2 UDB on Windows 2000 and S.O. OS/390 on the host. I'll use Query Patroller to monitor the query of devellopers.
    Thanks again.
    Francesco

len(spGetEffectiveUserProfile) > 18 ...

That is the error message

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by SISCF
    Thank you Marcus for your answer. I 've missed to inform you we have DB2 UDB on Windows 2000 and S.O. OS/390 on the host. I'll use Query Patroller to monitor the query of devellopers.
    Thanks again.
    Francesco