Arrow Unanswered: DBA future and Career prospects

Hello Guys:

I have just joined this forum today. I hope you all had a great Christmas.

Well, I am a DBA (Oracle+DB2) with 9 years of experience. I am certified 9i DBA. Working on DB2 certification now. I have expertise in UNIX system admin and Veritas VM / VCS Cluster Administration. And I also have other software skills. I have worked for great companies like Oracle,Siebel,HP etc. Now I am a Senior Level DBA.

I have seen DBAs with 15-20 years of experience - still doing DBA tasks and mentoring junior DBAs. I wonder where do I stand now and where I go from here? Do I have to do the same hands-on DBA tasks throughout my career? Sometimes I feel like I should be in a better position than what I am today. But I am not sure where everybody stands so far DBA career is concerned.

I will really appreciate if you can tell me where you stand today and where you want to be in near future. I think its high time for me to evaluate my career options.

Thanks in advance..
    -Amit

Re: DBA future and Career prospects

hello amit,
    just joined today,

just was searching on google for "future prospects of a dba" and found yr article.

I guess it would be right for every dba to end up as a "business analyst"
    sooner or later; considering the fact that in terms of understanding biz functionality the dba comes just next to PM . (correct me if i am wrong ).

i am currently working on SQL2k/win2k p/f . would like to shift to a oracle/db2/unix p/f ...........any roadmap u can offer me for that

TIA

rahul

Originally posted by amitr123
    Hello Guys:

I have just joined this forum today. I hope you all had a great Christmas.

Well, I am a DBA (Oracle+DB2) with 9 years of experience. I am certified 9i DBA. Working on DB2 certification now. I have expertise in UNIX system admin and Veritas VM / VCS Cluster Administration. And I also have other software skills. I have worked for great companies like Oracle,Siebel,HP etc. Now I am a Senior Level DBA.

I have seen DBAs with 15-20 years of experience - still doing DBA tasks and mentoring junior DBAs. I wonder where do I stand now and where I go from here? Do I have to do the same hands-on DBA tasks throughout my career? Sometimes I feel like I should be in a better position than what I am today. But I am not sure where everybody stands so far DBA career is concerned.

I will really appreciate if you can tell me where you stand today and where you want to be in near future. I think its high time for me to evaluate my career options.

Thanks in advance..
    -Amit