Question Unanswered: Problem during install oracle 8.1.7 on solaris 8

Hi there

i have a big problem during the install of oracle, when it ask for start the orainstRoot.sh script...

i'm opening a new windows as root and i starting this script correctly (no errors returned, just it is done for the group dba...)...
    root:~# cd /opt/oracle/product/8.1.7
    root:~# ./orainstRoot.sh
    Creating Oracle Inventory pointer file (/etc/oraInst.loc)
    Changing groupname of /opt/oracle/oraInventory to dba.

when i try to continue whith the install, it tell me to start again the script cause there are no enought rights !!!

note:
    for this install i have just made 1 group (dba) and on user (oracle) assigned to this group. I have enterred the .profile parameters for oracle (exports) and i have made the directory to install oracle

....strange.... do you have an idea ???

maybe if we had more information, we could help you. What's the exact error message? What are the permissions on the file that receives the error message?

Originally posted by marist89
    maybe if we had more information, we could help you. What's the exact error message? What are the permissions on the file that receives the error message?
    i haven't the message at this place (cause i have made the install in my company) but, it is just a pop-up window (graphic) that ask it when i click on "Retry" :

There are no enought rights to perform the end of install (it is not specified what tasks...)
    a reason are listed :
    - the orainstRoot.sh script was not proprely executed
    there are just on button "OK" that return to the window that advertise to run the script.

But my script was properly executed (listed above)...

i don't understand... i've saw many install guide for oracle 8 and i dont see... all seems to be ok but there are not !

i've looked for the /opt/oracle/* directory rights but there are nothing wrong... (oracle:dba rwx)

it is necessary to have 2 groups for the install ? cause i have just created 1 dba group... in many docs i've saw creatioon of a oinstall for installation procedure and dba for admin after...

Smile

Did you execute the orainstRoot.sh from separate console sesion, than the xterm, right? Then everything should go smooth.

Open the orainstRoot.sh script and see what is trying to do? All what is does is based on your user:group to adjust the permissions for this pair. Try running the lines one by one. Are you sure you was ROOT when doing it? You had to be ...

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP - DBA
    http://www.dbaclick.com