Question Unanswered: Importing Excel into Access 97

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have the same problem as Jonellie back on 04-10-02. I am a consultant and use multiple versions of Office on my computer. I have both Office 97 and Office XP. My complication is with Access 97. Like Jonellie, the Microsoft Excel file type is not available in Get External Data in Access 97. It works fine in Access XP. I have tried reinstalling Access 97 Data Access objects but Excel and others are greyed out as installed. I tried removing first but they still show as installed. If anyone knows how I get correct this,I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks much for your time and help.

can't fix your problem, but can confirm that it is possible to link XLS from A95, A97, A2K: all my installations have allowed this without any specific effort on my part.

you're dropping a filter somehow on the access install.

wild guess: have you tried custom install?

izy

Re: Importing Excel into Access 97

Yes, I have tried Custom Install but Excel and Text file types are greyed out and read Installed. I even tried Uninstalling Office XP and Office 97 and reinstalling per Microsoft directions for multiple versions on the same computer.

Smile Importing Excel into Access 97

I found my answer. For anyone else having this problem, re-register the mstext35.dll and msexcl35.dll using regsvr32.exe. Thanks to Van T. Dinh for his reply to "Cannot import xls, dbf, etc" on 2/10/03 in Microsoft.Public.Access.Get External Data Community.