Unanswered: Field's Caption property?

Hi All,
    Does anyone know how to refer to field's caption property from code?
    I have tried:

myDbs.TableDefs(myTableNum).Fields(myCounter).Prop erties("Caption")

I get "Property not found". Somehow Caption is not member of default field properties collection in Acc97 and if I make it a user-defined property I will not be able get the values that were originally assigned to Captions in Table design, right?

Someone have tried it before? I have just spend 5 hours in online help, books and online..no luck.

i quote the following tip from Alison Balter's tome on A95:

"It is important to set the Caption property for fields before you build any forms or reports that utilize the fields. When a form or report is produced, Access looks at the current caption. If the Caption is added or modified at a later time, captions for that field on existing forms and reports are not modified"

i tried some experiments and it seems that Alison is correct for forms at least. i was not successful in getting the field caption into a report.

...so it rather looks like the field caption is "internal use only" during the form/report create process.

izy

Hello izyrider, Hi aAll,
    I am sorr if my original post was a little confucing. The thing I am trying to fo has NOTHING to do with forms labels oe buttons etc, (ALL the things tou normally assign caption to).
    I am tryintg to parse one TABLE (without knowing the original source) to aother TABLE.

As per Acc97 help 'Date_of_Birth' filed might have a 'DOB' caption (or vv.) or EIDFNAME mithh gave a caprion of First_Name - and I wan to read THAT caption. ORIGINALLY CREATED.
    That mch izyrider (or Alison Balter (BTW I never read her worksof her, can you give me a tilte)) is right, but I am NOT trying to do it after the fact my goal is not READ ORIGINAL VALIUES.

Am I making any sense?

Originally posted by izyrider
    i quote the following tip from Alison Balter's tome on A95:

"It is important to set the Caption property for fields before you build any forms or reports that utilize the fields. When a form or report is produced, Access looks at the current caption. If the Caption is added or modified at a later time, captions for that field on existing forms and reports are not modified"

i tried some experiments and it seems that Alison is correct for forms at least. i was not successful in getting the field caption into a report.

...so it rather looks like the field caption is "internal use only" during the form/report create process.

izy