Smile Unanswered: Regarding SQL Loader Performance.

Hi,

I am facing a typical problem with sqlldr. We are able to load huge volumes of data into tables with out any problem. In the WIN-NT 2000 server, when we invoke the sqlldr from command line, it is taking 5 seconds to complete althoguh no data is available in the input text file. If i try the same thing on some other machine it is only taking .5 secs. Can any body let me know what can be the reason.

Regards
    Raj.

Possibly it's the connect that's taking the time. I have two machines here, one takes longer to connect to it's local instance (5 - 10secs) than the other connecting to it over the LAN.

I'm pretty sure it's an IP configuration issue but don't fancy messing around to find out.

Now if I also have a VPN connection open to the outside world, that 5-10 second local connect can become 30 or so.

I haven't checked, but bearing in mind that SqlLdr can be truncating tables prior to data load etc, I imagine it will connect every time whether there is input data or not.

HTH

P.S. Try simple connects through SqlPlus etc on your two machines and see how long they take?

Hi,

Your answer helped me. Thanks. I tried to validate whether it is connection problem or not. Now i tried sqlplus instead of sqlldr , it is also taking 5 secs. What i am supposed to do now. Any suggestions.

Thanks
    Raj..

I'd be 99% certain it's an IP config issue - not an Oracle issue. Maybe someone here is aware of an Oracle problem though - but I've never seen/heard of any in this area.

If it is IP related, you are probably best talking to one of the Network guys or there may be someone on here with the relevant knowledge.

It's a huge area with many possible causes, do you run a local DNS at your site? If so - does your Win2K box know about it or is it just having to shout at the entire network waiting for any DNS to answer?

I'd also look into whether Win2K supports a 'hosts' file where you can specify names and IP's without them having to be resolved. This will only work for static IP's of course.

I'm no expert on IP I'm afraid, hopefully someone here can be of more use.

Good Luck.

Hi,

I am able to resolve this problem by commenting this line in sqlnet.ora
    SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS).

Thanks for the promt replies (Mr. billm thanks much).

Thanks much
    Raj..

I tried that on the machine here with the slow connect and it works here too.

My thanks to you too!