Unanswered: Problem with VARCHAR() FOR BIT DATA column

Hi all,

I'm trying to use a VARCHAR() FOR BIT DATA column and I'm running into some strange behavior. I'm using this column to store binary data, and whenever I retrieve this data, it appears that I'm not getting back exactly what I put out. It seems that the last two bytes, or characters that I get back are always not what I've written out. Does anybody know where I can find some information on the FOR BIT DATA column types and how to work with them.

Thanks
    Nick.

Re: Problem with VARCHAR() FOR BIT DATA column

Can you please post your create tab, insert and select statement with output .....

Also, your client and server platforms ..

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by npalmer
    Hi all,

I'm trying to use a VARCHAR() FOR BIT DATA column and I'm running into some strange behavior. I'm using this column to store binary data, and whenever I retrieve this data, it appears that I'm not getting back exactly what I put out. It seems that the last two bytes, or characters that I get back are always not what I've written out. Does anybody know where I can find some information on the FOR BIT DATA column types and how to work with them.

Thanks
    Nick.

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    Can you please post your create tab, insert and select statement with output .....

Also, your client and server platforms ..

Cheers

Sathyaram
    Thanks for replying

I'm doing this thru ODBC in C++ so the insert and select will be a little hard, but here is the table create statement :

CREATE TABLE TESTIMG (FK INT, SK INT, LD INT, IMAGEDATA VARCHAR(32000) FOR BIT DATA)

The code I'm using for the select and insert work fine with the ODBC drivers for SQL Server and Oracle, so I'm wondering if I have to do anything special for the AS/400

Nick.

See if this link provides the information you want ...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...odbc1_97fm.asp

Good luck

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    See if this link provides the information you want ...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...odbc1_97fm.asp

Good luck

Cheers

Sathyaram
    Well, sort off but not really. The ODBC driver I'm using from IBM doesn't have a "Process Binary as character" property, so I can't set that. I'm definitely getting data back, its just that the last two bytes/characters are always mangled.

Nick.