Red face Unanswered: Can't read *.dbf data

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out a way to convert an old *.dbf file. Most of the fields convert ok, however a few key fields show up in strange symbols like the telephone numbers, addresses and fax numbers. For example a telephone number appears as the following:

ܣ֣

This should read: 251-5925. An address can show up as:

P+Ѧ}

This should read: 1720 Rupert Street

I am using CDBF to view the data, however I don't know what to use to convert those characters to a readable format. This is my only copy of the data, so I cannot recreate the information.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

if you use Win PC, try to use ODBC Drivers. DBF can be DBase, Foxpro or maybe other DOS ..Base.

they are almost the same... almost... also ODBC drivers allow you to select CODE PAGE

Win2k with MS Access:
    go to control panel-admin tools-ODBC and setup your ODBC
    then open Access, click on File-get external data-link data

under "FILES OF TYPE" pick the last one - ODBC ......

jiri

p.s. if you read from special software, some fields can be encrypted - I did it too in old DOS times .... i hope this is not your case.

Encryption in DOS

Yes...

I suspect that those fields are encrypted with a password. Is there any easy way to decrypt them?

Re: Encryption in DOS

it's not so easy. Do you have source code of your App ?

jiri

Red face Source Code

Unfortunately I only have the old *.exe file viewer for the data. It was created back in 1996-97 and the company is no longer in existence. The viewer is only about 200kb, but don't know what to look for when I dissassemble the app. Any hints?

if you are lucky, the encryption can be very easy.... just some character shift (maybe), can you post some samples of coded and uncoded fields?

something like

XSDffg4 is John Smith

jiri