Unanswered: MSACCESS to SQLSERVER

Hi
    Can you tell me what are the main steps to convert an access2000 db to sqlserver. Do you know where i can find faqs about this topic? I have Frontend backend applications and I would like to keep on using my frontends changing only my tables.
    thanks and happy new 2003

Re: MSACCESS to SQLSERVER

Originally posted by scettro
    Hi
    Can you tell me what are the main steps to convert an access2000 db to sqlserver. Do you know where i can find faqs about this topic? I have Frontend backend applications and I would like to keep on using my frontends changing only my tables.
    thanks and happy new 2003

If you are in 2000 just run the upsizing wizard under tools/ database utilities. the wizard should do the rest
    Jim

to be honest, if you do it, you will get probably slower database with no special efects......

client-server database is really different. First of all, you should NOT bound your forms (each form should be unbound and load and save data one button click or whatever). the second for all your inserts, updates, ... you should use stored procedures and maybe triggers.... you split data and forms, so keep all data manipulations on the server. Even your queries should be written wisely. access MDB (not project) is not ANSI and although it gives you power of all nice functions, some functions are not supported by server and access loads all the data from server to local PC and runs the query that way....

if you won't unbound forms, the huge amount of data will be transferred from SQL to your PC - it won't add any value to your new app. Create one form with data of SQL server (table let's say 50000 records), then connect to server using dial-up and try to get the data.... slow? Yes it will be if you won't unbound the forms.....

Access2000 came with PROJECTs - pure client-server model. It is not bad, but before you use it think about all restrictions you get.....

jiri