Post Unanswered: My company has a dbf-based database and we want to make it available from Internet

Our software is written in clipper and we what to move it to Internet or VPN at the beginning. I mean to make reports remotely at least. Tell me something about Advantage Database Server and Apollo. Our base programming language is Delphi thats why I am thinking of using MIDAS with existing database or something like that. Will be very useful if you have already ported a clipper application to Delphi or other language.

Re: My company has a dbf-based database and we want to make it available from Internet

Pay a visit to comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects (you can read that news group from here). Several people there has created ActiveX servers in Visual Object and use it on the WEB. Visual Objects have native Clipper drivers so it's an easy operation. Visual Objects was ones supposed to be Clipper for Windows but became something different. Nantucket, the creator of Clipper, actually started the development of Visual Objects under the code name Aspen. Computer Associates later aquired Nantucket and mostly ditched the internals of Aspen and created Visual Objects

/Lars

Originally posted by amarinov
    Our software is written in clipper and we what to move it to Internet or VPN at the beginning. I mean to make reports remotely at least. Tell me something about Advantage Database Server and Apollo. Our base programming language is Delphi thats why I am thinking of using MIDAS with existing database or something like that. Will be very useful if you have already ported a clipper application to Delphi or other language.

Exclamation Re: My company has a dbf-based database and we want to make it available from Internet

As far as I know, Visual Objects has been discontinued.
    Also, it had never become a standard.
    Don't you think so :

Originally posted by lg48
    Pay a visit to comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects (you can read that news group from here). Several people there has created ActiveX servers in Visual Object and use it on the WEB. Visual Objects have native Clipper drivers so it's an easy operation. Visual Objects was ones supposed to be Clipper for Windows but became something different. Nantucket, the creator of Clipper, actually started the development of Visual Objects under the code name Aspen. Computer Associates later aquired Nantucket and mostly ditched the internals of Aspen and created Visual Objects

/Lars

Re: My company has a dbf-based database and we want to make it available from Internet

No, I can't agree with you. VO has not been continued. The development and marketing rights has been taken over by Grafx Soft in USA from CA. Last version var released just a few month ago and next version will be released sometimes this summer. The runtime of the new version will be built on C++ 7.0

The Visual Objects news group is also quite active and there are several developers conferences each year in Australia, Europe and USA. There are several active user groups all over the whole world (I happen to be the president for one of them).

/Lars

Thumbs up Re: My company has a dbf-based database and we want to make it available from Internet

Ok, Lars.
    Im glad to read your answer and even gladder to write to you.
    Thank you for your info on VO.
    Have a nice day.

Regards,
    Mario / dombenitez

Originally posted by lg48
    No, I can't agree with you. VO has not been continued. The development and marketing rights has been taken over by Grafx Soft in USA from CA. Last version var released just a few month ago and next version will be released sometimes this summer. The runtime of the new version will be built on C++ 7.0

The Visual Objects news group is also quite active and there are several developers conferences each year in Australia, Europe and USA. There are several active user groups all over the whole world (I happen to be the president for one of them).

/Lars

Mario,

I'm not religious about development tools as I'm also using VB, some Java and now getting into C#, but my favourite tool is still VO. It's like combining VB and C++ into one single fully OOP tool. That means you can choose on which level you need to code, from easy VB level down to memory management, pointer arithmetic and so on so can do very complex programming but only if you need to. In my oppinion VB has a little bit to many show stoppers when you go low level and C++ takes to long time write in. VO combines those two levels into one product. Plus, with the SDK you get the source code a lot of VO so you can actually change a lot of it's behaviour, or get a full understanding of what's going on 'behind the sceens'.

/Lars

Originally posted by dombenitez
    Ok, Lars.
    Im glad to read your answer and even gladder to write to you.
    Thank you for your info on VO.
    Have a nice day.

Regards,
    Mario / dombenitez