Unanswered: Installation and configuring-help-newbie

Hello Everyone,
    I need some help. I'm new to this whole DB thing and need some help.
    i dont have a big window to learn sql, so im here asking for help.
    i need a crash course on installing and configuring sql. im going to be runnin it on a win2k platform. can someone tell me the basic to configure it to work properly so i can have it at least up and running then ill hit the book and learning more. any help will be greatfully thankful.

joey

Re: Installation and configuring-help-newbie

Yikes,

That's a lot to ask.

I was in the same boat 2 years ago. The best thing I did was to purchase MS SQL Server 2000 DBA Survival Guide(Spenik/Sledge, published by SAMS). There's a tremendous amount of good material in there, especially on backups and recovery. I won't claim to have read it all, but it did help me through several heartaches.

If you don't already have a test platform, you absolutely HAVE to have one. Nothing worse that trying to "practice" something in production.

The book will walk you through a basic installation with pictures and commentary far better than what I could reproduce here. If I recall correctly, it does review hardware set up, however, the best review of hardware that I saw was in Kalen Delaney's Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (Microsoft Press). There's a chart in there that did an excellent job (for me) of comparing RAID options and costs/benefits.

HTH,

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by joeyfish
    Hello Everyone,
    I need some help. I'm new to this whole DB thing and need some help.
    i dont have a big window to learn sql, so im here asking for help.
    i need a crash course on installing and configuring sql. im going to be runnin it on a win2k platform. can someone tell me the basic to configure it to work properly so i can have it at least up and running then ill hit the book and learning more. any help will be greatfully thankful.

joey
    Last edited by hmscott; 01-03-03 at 10:19.

thank

thanks for the reply scott. i will look into it.