Unanswered: Error while creating database: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

I am new to the Oracle database world and I am trying to install Oracle 9i Personal on a laptop (Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, Win 2K Pro, 9GB free disk). The installation appears to proceed as expected until the database is being created. I consistantly get the following error message, not matter what type of database is being created, e.g. warehouse, OLTP, etc.:

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

I have also tried running the script created by the database configuration assisstant but get the same results. I have included part of the batch file as well as the output from the create database command. The directories are created and the files are placed in the oradata/bcrumly directory and the OracleServiceBCRUMLY service is created and started (it can also be stopped and started without error).

Some more info: The laptop is not connected to a network when the installation occurs, but the laptop is configured to be part of a network. I need the database to work when it is not connected to the network.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

==== Begin partial batch file created by Database Configuration Assisstant ====
    mkdir C:\oracle\admin\bcrumly\bdump
    mkdir C:\oracle\admin\bcrumly\cdump
    mkdir C:\oracle\admin\bcrumly\create
    mkdir C:\oracle\admin\bcrumly\pfile
    mkdir C:\oracle\admin\bcrumly\udump
    mkdir C:\oracle\ora92\database
    mkdir C:\oracle\oradata\bcrumly
    set ORACLE_SID=bcrumly
    C:\oracle\ora92\bin\oradim.exe -new -sid BCRUMLY -startmode m
    C:\oracle\ora92\bin\oradim.exe -edit -sid BCRUMLY -startmode a
    C:\oracle\ora92\bin\orapwd.exe file=C:\oracle\ora92\database\PWDbcrumly.ora password=change_on_install
    C:\oracle\ora92\bin\sqlplus /nolog @C:\oracle\admin\bcrumly\scripts\CreateDB.sql

==== End partial batch file created by Database Configuration Assisstant ====

==== Begin CreateDB spool file =====

SQL> startup nomount pfile="C:\oracle\admin\bcrumly\scripts\init.ora";
    ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 143727516 bytes
    Fixed Size 453532 bytes
    Variable Size 117440512 bytes
    Database Buffers 25165824 bytes
    Redo Buffers 667648 bytes
    SQL> CREATE DATABASE bcrumly
    2 MAXINSTANCES 1
    3 MAXLOGHISTORY 1
    4 MAXLOGFILES 5
    5 MAXLOGMEMBERS 3
    6 MAXDATAFILES 100
    7 DATAFILE 'C:\oracle\oradata\bcrumly\system01.dbf' SIZE 250M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10240K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
    8 EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL
    9 DEFAULT TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP TEMPFILE 'C:\oracle\oradata\bcrumly\temp01.dbf' SIZE 40M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 640K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
    10 UNDO TABLESPACE "UNDOTBS1" DATAFILE 'C:\oracle\oradata\bcrumly\undotbs01.dbf' SIZE 200M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 5120K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
    11 CHARACTER SET WE8MSWIN1252
    12 NATIONAL CHARACTER SET AL16UTF16
    13 LOGFILE GROUP 1 ('C:\oracle\oradata\bcrumly\redo01.log') SIZE 102400K,
    14 GROUP 2 ('C:\oracle\oradata\bcrumly\redo02.log') SIZE 102400K,
    15 GROUP 3 ('C:\oracle\oradata\bcrumly\redo03.log') SIZE 102400K;
    CREATE DATABASE bcrumly
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

SQL> spool off

==== End CreateDB spool file =====

can u post ur tnsname.ora or try to create host string for local computer. This may not required if your not using network, still this can help I guess.
    Thazul