Unanswered: RedhatPostgreSQL

I am looking for alternatives to M$. I started experimenting with Redhat Linux running Apache and PHP for web servers. Postgresql was included in the full Redhat install. I was able to create a database and user successfully following the tutorial "".

Although the database and user were created successfully I cannot login to postgresql. I get the following error: psql: FATAL 1: IDENT authentication failed for user "phpuser"

I know the user exist because if I try to create it again if fails because it exist.

These are the commands I used to create the user and log in beginning at the Linux prompt:
    su postgres
    createuser phpuser
    y (can create databases)
    y (can create users)
    createdb phpdb
    psql phpdb -U phpuser

This is where I get the error: psql: FATAL 1: IDENT authentication failed for user "phpuser"

The only thing I think may be missing is the password. But since it was not required to create the user it must not be needed. ???

Thanks in advance for your help.

You will need to change the pg_hba.conf file

you have as authentification "ident"

for testing try "trust"

otherwise you have to look at

--Postgresql is the only kind of thing--

Linux user limit?

hye timmoser,

would you or anyone happen to know if Linux has a limit on how many simultaneous users can be logged into Postgres ?

for example i read somewhere Windows has a limit of i think only 32? or is it like 52?

i am wondering if there is a limit for the Linux OS.

# connections

By default, the postmaster (database server) limits the number of connections to 32. This can be increased to whatever number you want. It's simply a resource issue. If you want to handle 100+ simultaneous connections, you better have some decent hardware serving the database.