Unanswered: Syntax problem: Reading out bits out of a byte

I am saving several bit-flags in a Byte field which I am using in a continous form to fill some checkboxes (Value 1 = Checkbox 1, Value 2 = Checkbox 2, Value 3 = Checkbox 1 + 2, etc.). Now I am trying to find a way to to parse this byte by bit-comparison inside the recordsource property of the checkbox. Just can't find the proper syntax - none of these work:

(for example Checkbox No.4

=If([intByte] && 8; True; False)
    =If([intByte] & 8; True; False)
    =If([intByte] And 8; True; False)

Is it possible that there is no way of comparing by Bit?

8 AND 10 = 8

so you need:
    iif(([intByte] And 8)=8, True, False)

izy

Thanks.... but unfortunately it didn't work. I never get 'True' results, 'False' only...

looks like we need to force the data type so that we are comparing bits in similar apples.

this should work:

iif((int([intByte]) And int(8))=0, False, True)

...note the true/false reversal.

izy

Thank you izy, but still no luck....
    I tried this way now:

(ControlSource =bitCompare([intGradeCode];3)

(VBA-Code
    Function bitCompare(intByte, intBitNumber) As Boolean
    If (intByte And 2 ^ intBitNumber) Then bitCompare = True Else bitCompare = False
    End Function

That seems to work. But now I'm facing another, different problem: Since the checkboxes are not really connected to the recordset, they seem to be write-protected. Which is ok, I would only the Click-Event to re-recalculate the new intGradeCode. But I am not even allowed to CLICK on the checkbox....

Do you have an idea? Or does it seem I can't get around real boolean values? (that is 12 times the amount of data; 1 Bool = 2 Bytes -> 12 Bytes for six Checkboxes)

interesting!

my iif with type-force worked for me this morning but then i tested with int(textBoxValue) AND int(textBoxValue)
    -also with
    int(HardCodedValue) AND int(textBoxValue)

...maybe it would fly if you used integer instead of byte in your table, but you have a good fix now anyway.

--

if you have a series of checkboxes that are linked by ControlSource to your bit fields, editing is going to be tough!

how about a second set of check boxes in the footer/header set in code by the onCurrent event and an UpdateTo button that recalculates your byte.

izy

Interesting approach, but I am using this in a continoues form; so there is no real comfortable way of letting the user know, what recordentry he/she actually edits when working in the header.... oh boy...

maybe cheating will suit your app

display a limited subset of your data in the continuous forms - enough to let the user choose one to play with. disallow edits so your user is not tempted to play there (lock/disable or allowEdits=false or...)

_onCurrent, display the full record in the header (...or footer ...or a pop-up) together with the hidden "real" check-boxes and the visible "fake" check boxes as discussed earlier.

there's upside: not only do you get your bit fields to work, but you end up with less crowded contForms (or more recs to a window).

i end up doing this a lot. not 'cos of bit fields, but 'cos i often have too much stuff to put in contForms.
    e.g. address lists: user is unlikely to want to select a record to edit based on [dogsName], [golfHandicap], [shoeSize]..., for me it's enough to have a few likely fields [name], [company], [lastOrder] on show in the contForms. in effect i'm using contForms as a sort-of list but with the nicer formatting etc that you can get in the forms.

...having said all that - mentioning pop-up gives me another idea!

see if you can get some sort of event triggered on your locked check boxes in the contFroms (i didn't try, but maybe _click or _gotFocus works). if yes: pop-up a window with enough fields to keep the user happy that he is editing the right record plus the "fake" checkboxes plus Update / Cancel buttons.

izy

Yes!!!! Thanks izy, you got me onto the right path. since ONCLICK didnt work, ONFOCUS does the trick! Now I have a working event and can set/unset any values in any way I want it (I am using functions now to manipulate the original Byte-value; as soon as I change this one, the checkbox-controlsource is updated by its own)! Thanks a lot man!

Only flaw: When the clicks on the checkbox, there is still the windows-error-beep-sound... but thats a different story

Originally posted by izyrider
    8 AND 10 = 8

so you need:
    iif(([intByte] And 8)=8, True, False)

izy
    not with sql and is a boolean operator ie returns true or false

SELECT 8 And 10 AS e, True AS e2;

proves the point

if you still want to use sql try just [intByte] and ensure it's correctly reading the variable
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.