Wink Unanswered: No-one seems to know about MsysModules2

I have found (while looking for an answer to it myself) that there are many people who have posted questions about 'No read permissions on MsysModules2' error. There are many answers but none of them are satisfactory (including some for Microsoft themselves).

I will make a brief description of my problem and see is anyone is suffering the same fate.

Now only one user can log in at a time (we never had this problem before).

1) The databases were working fine. No one did anything to the securities (several databases use the same MDA file) and one day it just 'happened'.
    2) It has NOT happened when converting to an MDE. It is a MDB.
    3) I have tried changing the securities to be as lax as possible (i.e. all users had admin rights on all objects). This didn't help.
    4) I imported all the objects into a new database. (no joy)
    5) I even made a new secutiry (MDA) file. (suprise..no joy)
    6) The 'JetComp' thing suggested in another thread did not work. I got the same 'Error compacting database' that the other guy got.

We can get access to the data (one person at a time) but this does not help. The database is about 10meg in size (and is frequently compacted and repaired).

Does anyone in the universe actually understand why this has happeded or is everyone just guessing like me?

Please help.

i know this is naive and silly and obvious etc etc, but... did you check

tools¦options¦advanced¦default open mode

izy

Smile Darn...

I hadn't checked that. But unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, as I would have felt a bit daft) it wasn't.

Thanks though.

John

i saw on another site somewhere (i lost the link and can't find it again - sorry!) that you need to set permissions wide open for all users for the system table MsysModules2

that only makes some sort of sense if you-as-admin can access the db from any one machine but non-admin-users can't.

if any one non-admin-user can access from any one machine then the problem has to be somehow related to permissions or open-exclusive for tbl.MsysModules2

...but since today is the first time i heard about this tbl, all i can do is wish you luck and watch the posts come in.

izy

$#it
    ...it just happened to me @work today.

cummon team - someone come up with a fix!

izy

I know about MsysModules 2 (now)

Hi all,

I discovered what the problem is (in my case any-how).

The secrity (MDW) file was locked. This could not be fixed by copying it or even creating a new one. I am not exactly sure why though. The problem even persisted if I made a new database with a new NDW file.

Goodnews: It was fixed by re-booting the server where the databases and MDW file did reside (or resode?).

Crude but it fixed it.

Hope this helps you Izzy.

John

Cool It (for once) wasn't Microsoft

The reason for this locking of the MDW file was due to some Anti-Virus software installed on all the machines. Once this software was disabled it worked fine. The software needs to be loosened slightly to allow access to allow more than one user to use a file.