Unanswered: is there a simple method getting a 1 way link to odbc

basicaly i want 1 of the following 2 option but i cant find the details of how to do it

1 a linked table that reads but can't write (and access don't kill itself trying to deligate commands ODBC can't haddle to it)

2 a straight import that automated

prefer option 1 but 2 will work
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Re: is there a simple method getting a 1 way link to odbc

Maybe being thick, but....

Can you link the table and then change the securities to allow only read access?

John

that would depend on what you ment by securities, if you mean changing the odbc databases access privalages to read only, definatly not but if you mean changing the nature of the link that is what i'm trying to find out
    Originally posted by johncameron
    Maybe being thick, but....

Can you link the table and then change the securities to allow only read access?

John

okay i've hacked a solution

Sub ImportTables()
    With DoCmd
    .TransferDatabase acImport, "ODBC", "ODBC;DSN=LIVE_DATA;SRV=LIVE_DATA;DBQ=LIVE_DATA;UI D=ODBC;;TABLE=Administrators.CUSTS_NF", acTable, "Administrators.CUSTS_NF", "CUST", False
    .TransferDatabase acImport, "ODBC", "ODBC;DSN=LIVE_DATA;SRV=LIVE_DATA;DBQ=LIVE_DATA;UI D=ODBC;;TABLE=Administrators.BOMDATA_DER", acTable, "Administrators.BOMDATA_DER", "BOM1", False
    .TransferDatabase acImport, "ODBC", "ODBC;DSN=LIVE_DATA;SRV=LIVE_DATA;DBQ=LIVE_DATA;UI D=ODBC;;TABLE=Administrators.BOMDATA_NF", acTable, "Administrators.BOMDATA_NF", "BOM2", False
    .TransferDatabase acImport, "ODBC", "ODBC;DSN=LIVE_DATA;SRV=LIVE_DATA;DBQ=LIVE_DATA;UI D=ODBC;;TABLE=Administrators.INVHIST_DER", acTable, "Administrators.INVHIST_DER", "INV1", False
    .TransferDatabase acImport, "ODBC", "ODBC;DSN=LIVE_DATA;SRV=LIVE_DATA;DBQ=LIVE_DATA;UI D=ODBC;;TABLE=Administrators.INVHIST_NF", acTable, "Administrators.INVHIST_NF", "INV2", False
    .SetWarnings False
    .RunSQL "INSERT INTO Bom ( ID, PPart, CPart, CDes, QTYPA, ENGUOM ) SELECT BOM1.ID, BOM1.PPART, BOM1.CPART, BOM1.CDES, BOM2.QTYPA, BOM2.ENGUOM FROM BOM1 INNER JOIN BOM2 ON BOM1.ID = BOM2.ID;"
    .RunSQL "INSERT INTO InvHist ( ACCT_NO, CR_TYPE, ICEDATE, INVOICE, I_TYPE, NET_EXTP, PROD_GRP, SHIP_TO, ITEMNBR, SHIPQTY, WHSE ) SELECT INV1.ACCT_NO, INV1.CR_TYPE, INV1.ICEDATE, INV1.INVOICE, INV1.I_TYPE, INV1.NET_EXTP, INV1.PROD_GRP, INV1.SHIP_TO, INV2.ITEMNBR, INV2.SHIPQTY, INV2.WHSE FROM INV1 INNER JOIN INV2 ON INV1.ID = INV2.ID;"

.setwarning True
    End With
    End Sub

now this loses the cust primary key is there a way of putting it back?