Unanswered: VERY new to Oracle

Hello, we will be getting Oracle soon and marry it to a vendors software package for our court system. As I understand (which is not a whole lot), we will be using Oracle 91 in a 4 cluster db environment.

My question.......I want to learn how to manag the db and how to trouble shoot problems, so can someone point me in the right direction as to what manuals, books to read to understand oracle?

I'm an old dbase programmer (DOS), which is on its way out once the Oracle db is in....this summer, and I need to do what I can so I can still be a valued employee. My dbase system was all in house (dBase IV in muiltuser environment +/- 200 users), and I've spent alot of time with it and none on learning other programming languages. What programming language would help me here?

I'll accept any suggestions

Provided Answers: 1

Re: VERY new to Oracle

Here are all the latest Oracle manuals online:

http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...v/docindex.htm

The Concepts guide would be a good place to start.

PL/SQL is the programming language you need for working closely with Oracle (stored procedures, triggers etc.), though your application may be written in some other language.

Andrew, thanks......I'll be checking the site out more now that I have a little more time for it.

Another good resource is http://www.orafaq.com/faq.htm

Thanks y'all.....I'll be checking em out.