Question Unanswered: Trying to duplicate database via scripts

Okay. I have a production server at a client site. I have created scripts, and am trying to duplicate the database on a server at my work site. I don't want to have to import each table manually from a text file, but I will if I can't get this to work.

How do I go about running a script to create a table on a particular database? Dummy instructions needed. Or a pointer to a dummy book or website that would describe how to do this would suffice.

Thanks in advance,

Leah

Re: Trying to duplicate database via scripts

Most versions of Sql Server feature Enterprise Manager support for creating such scripts e.g.(that may subsequently be run in Query Analyzer).

In Sql Server 2k EM, for example, one would right click the desired DB (select All Tasks --> Generate Sql Script). In the ensuing dialog box click the Show All button and check the script all objects check box. Click OK and save the script to a file. Open the file on an appropriately "permissioned" account connection to the target server and run the script against the target server.

Re: Trying to duplicate database via scripts

Originally posted by justmeleah
    Okay. I have a production server at a client site. I have created scripts, and am trying to duplicate the database on a server at my work site. I don't want to have to import each table manually from a text file, but I will if I can't get this to work.

How do I go about running a script to create a table on a particular database? Dummy instructions needed. Or a pointer to a dummy book or website that would describe how to do this would suffice.

Thanks in advance,

Leah
    Why not to detach your db on your production server
    and reatach the db on your server
    look at sp_attachdb, sp_dettachdb.
    Olivier Miossec
    --
    http://www.lasso-developpeur.net/
    --

You can also use dts and the "copy database wizard".

Backup/Restore?

I think the easiest way is a simple backup/restore (maybe with path changing) via Enterprise Manager.
    Very intuitive, and you can also find instructions in documentation.

Can the Generate SQL Scripts dialog be accessed through TSQL?

Hiya

I have a similar problem where the database structure must be duplicated (at least some of it). Currently we have scripts that are generated through the All Tasks - Generate SQL Script window. It would, however, be significantly better for us if we were able to create this script automatically. Is this functionality accessible in any way?
    Alternatively is there any way to use DMO to duplicate part of a database structure?

cheers,
    Mike

Check this link and goto DMO box for details.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]