Unanswered: ARCHIVELOG or NOARCHIVELOG

Hello,good people,me again!!
    I have few questions.

I am runnig ORACLE 8.1.7 on WIN2000.I want to do every day full backup my closed db.On the other hand,I cannot easy reapply changes,so I cannot run my db in circullar logging.
    If I think good,it means I have to run db in ARCHIVELOG mod.
    But,if it means I have to copy ( for example automatic) "old" logs in ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST
    and after backup delete ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST?If I have to "tell" anything to my db before I del by OS "old" logs?I don't want waste storage for unneded logs,because all changes I have in my newest backup?
    Is there option NOCOPY old logs in archive dest?
    In DB2,there is option
    LOGRETAIN=ON
    USEREXIT=OFF

My "target" backup stragety:

TRY (full offline) backup
    IF BACKUP=SUCCESFULL
    del all unneded logs
    OPEN DB

Soryy for my English and thanks for advice,
    Zvonimir

If 1 day of data can be lost for your database, NOARCHIVELOG mode may be fine. If you can not lose any data, ARCHIVELOG mode is your best bet.

IMHO, ARCHIVELOG mode is a mandatory requirement for a production database. You have so many more recovery options when your database is in ARCHIVELOG mode.

Once your data files have been backed up, you can delete the unneeded archivelog files. You may want to look at Oracle's Recovery Manager (RMAN) that can automate backup tasks.

Thanks a lot,
    Zvonimir

Re: ARCHIVELOG or NOARCHIVELOG

Oracle Experts ... Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere ...

Zvonimir,

In DB2, having LOGRETAIN=YES and USEREXIT=NO will retain your log files in the LOGPATH of the database until you delete it ... ie, in your case at the end of day after a full backup .

In Oracle, the ARCHIVELOG mode copies the files to ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST and reuses the 'active' log files that have been archived ...

So, the space you will need in either case(ie ARCHIVELOG mode or otherwise) will be the same ... The only diffenrence is which directory requires space ...

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Having your database in ARCHIVELOG Mode

Originally posted by zkajfez
    Hello,good people,me again!!
    I have few questions.

I am runnig ORACLE 8.1.7 on WIN2000.I want to do every day full backup my closed db.On the other hand,I cannot easy reapply changes,so I cannot run my db in circullar logging.
    If I think good,it means I have to run db in ARCHIVELOG mod.
    But,if it means I have to copy ( for example automatic) "old" logs in ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST
    and after backup delete ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST?If I have to "tell" anything to my db before I del by OS "old" logs?I don't want waste storage for unneded logs,because all changes I have in my newest backup?
    Is there option NOCOPY old logs in archive dest?
    In DB2,there is option
    LOGRETAIN=ON
    USEREXIT=OFF

My "target" backup stragety:

TRY (full offline) backup
    IF BACKUP=SUCCESFULL
    del all unneded logs
    OPEN DB

Soryy for my English and thanks for advice,
    Zvonimir

It was my fault,sorry

Sathayaram,you are right!
    In fact ,I want "ARCHIVING WITHOUT COPYING"
    Zvonimir

Re: ARCHIVELOG or NOARCHIVELOG

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    Oracle Experts ... Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere ...

Zvonimir,

In DB2, having LOGRETAIN=YES and USEREXIT=NO will retain your log files in the LOGPATH of the database until you delete it ... ie, in your case at the end of day after a full backup .

In Oracle, the ARCHIVELOG mode copies the files to ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST and reuses the 'active' log files that have been archived ...

So, the space you will need in either case(ie ARCHIVELOG mode or otherwise) will be the same ... The only diffenrence is which directory requires space ...
    Having your database in ARCHIVELOG Mode
    Nope. You're thinking of 'ONLINE REDO LOGS'

Archive Logs are stored with an incrementing suffix. It's up to you to archive them off somewhere else.

Having said that, if you specify a format for the archivelog name in init.ora that has a suffix pattern that only allows, say 100 numbers, then Oracle will overwrite the first log. This isn't the normal or intended way of operation though.

Paul,thnx!
    My problem is,obviously,terminology......