Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Unanswered: server is not known to be running error

I am getting the following error when trying to connect to my sql server in enterprise manager I get "Server \\server is not known to be running. Do
    you wish to connect"
    I can see the server to register it but it failes to connect to the server saying either server does not exist or access denied.
    I know the service is running on the server.
    The company has a firewall but I am on a seperate lan node and should not be affected. Is there something I missed during setup?
    If anyone can help I would sure appreciate it!!!

Re: server is not known to be running error

Some things to consider and / or check may include:

Does the account have access? Can the server be accessed using the same account from other workstations? Does any other account using the same seperate lan node have access? Can the Server be pinged or otherwise accessed? Is the workstation running the protocols the server is running and listening on, including connecting to the correct port, etc., etc., etc.?

{Generally, more detatiled information in such circumstances, (what has been attempted, a deeper level of system information, etc.), makes it much easier to diagnose issue(s) and provide more useful / helpful feedback.}

I would be suspicious of the firewall - can you ping the port that the sql server is running on - not just the ip address but the port as well.

Re: server is not known to be running error

Thanks so much for your reply Ill try and give you as much detail as I can.
    First this is a brand new installation using most of the SQL defaults patched to SQL service pack2. W2k SP3.
    It is not running in a Windows networked environment, it is running in a Novell network environment.
    I do not have to go through a firewall to connect to it I am on the same network segment.
    I am trying to connect to it with enterprise manager.
    Registering it works as long as I dont try to authenticate to it.
    I get the error trying to authenticate to it.
    Now to answer some of your questions....

Does the account have access?
    Yes
    Can the server be accessed using the same account from other workstations?
    No
    Does any other account using the same seperate lan node have access?
    no
    Can the Server be pinged or otherwise accessed?
    yes
    However GFI Network Lan scanner shows only 4 ports open and does not show that SQL is running on that box. Which normally reports back that it is.

SQL server is running on the Server and there are no errors in the logs.

Is the workstation running the protocols the server is running
    Yes
    and listening on,
    I think so

If you have any ideas I would appreciate any help you can give.

{Generally, more detatiled information in such circumstances, (what has been attempted, a deeper level of system information, etc.), makes it much easier to diagnose issue(s) and provide more useful / helpful feedback.} [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Originally posted by rnealejr
    I would be suspicious of the firewall - can you ping the port that the sql server is running on - not just the ip address but the port as well.
    I am on the same network segment so I wouldent be going through the Firewall we do have.

Which port is sql server running on ?

Which port is sql server running on ?
    I tried the SQL assigned default then 1965

I have a utility that will allow you to ping a specific port - I am searching for it - once I find it, I will post it.

I have a utility that will allow you to ping a specific port - I am searching for it - once I find it, I will post it.
    Thank you very much!!!

I used a utility called SQL Ping and it shows up right away on that port.
    Any other ideas?

Which port and what is returned using that utility ?

Which port and what is returned using that utility ?

1965 What is returned is the name of the server what version it is running, and whether it is clustered and what port number (1965)

Where are you running this utility - and does that mean your machine see that port as being actively used by sql server on the other machine ?

I am walking out the door now and will try to follow-up in a couple of hours or tomorrow, if you have not received an answer.

Where are you running this utility
    I am running this utility on a workstation on the same network segment as the sql server.
    - and does that mean your machine see that port as being actively used by sql server on the other machine ?

Well since that utility returns a user list as well,
    and since I can see it when I use the register server wiz in Enterprise manager Id say yes.
    I can actually successfull register it as long as I check prompt for UN&Pass. I only have problems trying to authenticate to it. I get a SQL server does not exist or access denied using a valid user to log in.
    No worries about when you reply any help is greatly appreciated!

I am walking out the door now and will try to follow-up in a couple of hours or tomorrow, if you have not received an answer.