Unanswered: Oracle and Client Connections

Our department is looking into migrating our current system to Oracle
    So far the details are not settled, but we will most likely be setting up our db server on Solaris using Oracle 8.x or up.

Currently we are doing some research into possible coding languages to use with client machines. Client machines should be mostly Windows system. So far we have a few candidates:

VB (VB6 and VB.net)
    Powerbuilder
    Java

Advantages of VB variations should be that they are native to Windows development enviornment. Oracle/Windws seems to have good support on it too. (got bunch of different ways, ODBC, OLE DB, ODP, etc). but i am not sure if there would be any performance issues.

Powerbuilder is something i am not too familiar with, but from the information i gathered, it doesn't seem to have much support in terms of newer versions of Oracle

Java is what Oracle and Solaris are pushing, so it may have some advantages in terms of performance communicating with the backend, but there may be issues setting up java applications in Windows.

In terms of client machines connecting to server, I think for sure we will setup Oracle clients software to establish a link to server, but whether we will have a web-based service i am not sure yet, so the possibility needs to be taken into consideration as well.

If anyone has some ideas or recommendations or corrections, please let me know. Maybe it can stimulate some discussion as well

Best Regards,

Mark

A few more info on our current system:
    the kernel is coded in C and C++
    and our system is handling online credit card verification/transaction and batch processes.

Originally posted by mchih
    A few more info on our current system:
    the kernel is coded in C and C++
    and our system is handling online credit card verification/transaction and batch processes.

MS Products have a very high level of random behavior.
    The best technology would Oracle Forms (Web Deployed Forms)
    The forms server can be installed on ur solaris machine or a
    seperate windows nt machine.
    This would enable your users to access all ur applications
    from the web using netscape or any other browser.
    nn