Red face Unanswered: One Form To Rule Them All(Tables)

Hi this should be my first post
    Here we go
    I have several tables, one for each year, containing data about paychecks, I cant but them all in one table because that would cause me double entries and I dont want that
    So I have made one form to manage the tables from there
    But how do I make that?
    I thought of making several buttons under the form for each year and each time I press a year, the intries in the form change to the year I've selected without opening a new form
    I hope I post my problem understoodable
    Thanx for your time

Re: One Form To Rule Them All(Tables)

Originally posted by stupid
    Hi this should be my first post
    Here we go
    I have several tables, one for each year, containing data about paychecks, I cant but them all in one table because that would cause me double entries and I dont want that
    So I have made one form to manage the tables from there
    But how do I make that?
    I thought of making several buttons under the form for each year and each time I press a year, the intries in the form change to the year I've selected without opening a new form
    I hope I post my problem understoodable
    Thanx for your time
    you can use one table for many years by adding a year coloumn as well as a month coloumn that way you will only need one table, and a form to add data, just create a form that has text boxes or combo boxex depending on if the data will be recurring or new, and keep in mind that you can add new records even in a combo box if you have the setting set up correctly, to alow growth beyond the list it gathers. to query this table make sure that you have the year coloumn in there and select on the year taht you need.
    Hope this helps
    Jim

Well.... if all the "year" tables have the same structure (field names, types, lengths, etc..) you could change the RecordSource property of the form based on the value of say a combobox.

Create a form that has a combobox containing the year and the name of its corresponding table (i.e. - 2000, paychecks2000, 2001, paychecks2001, etc...) with the bound column being the name of the table. Also put a button on the form that will open the paychecks form. In the OnOpen event of the paychecks form, set the RecordSource property to the value of the combobox: Me.RecordSource = Forms!formname!comboboxname

Unhappy

That's why my nick in stupid I cant do it
    Thanx for your help but I cant get it to work
    I'll keep trying anyways
    Any other ideas?
    Thanx

Unhappy

That's why my nick in stupid I cant do it
    Thanx for your help but I cant get it to work
    I'll keep trying anyways
    Any other ideas?
    Thanx