Question Unanswered: Moving (Displaying) Categories with Entries in a single form

Another interesting problem:

If have a table containing text entries with a category and a position number, like this:

[intPosition] [intCategory] [intText]
    1 CAT1 Text1
    2 CAT1 Text2
    3 CAT1 Text3
    4 CAT2 Text4
    5 CAT2 Text5
    6 CAT2 Text6
    7 CAT3 Text7
    ... and so on....

Now I want to provide a form that lists all categories (DISTINCT ROW) and allows the user with an arrow up/down button to move (switch) the categories in their order. Which means the whole bunch of entries that belong to that category must be switched.

I fail in displaying these categories (I don't need to show the text-entries at this point). SELECT DISTINCT ROW [strCategory] ..... gets me all the categories, but I'm missing the [intPosition] field. But when I include the [intPosition] of course DISTINCT ROW doesnt apply to [strCategory] only any more.... Is this solveable in SQL?

is this solveable in sql? no

it's solvable in redesigning the table(s)

category sequence should be stored in the category table

create table category
    ( id integer
    , catname varchar(50)
    , seq integer
    )

then your text entry table uses the category's id as a foreign key, such that an item is linked to the category it belongs to, and you can change the sequence of the categories without touching the items

furthermore, to produce the list of categories, you select (distinct not required) from the category table

make sense?

rudy
    http://r937.com/

Thanks r937....

this is your last word? There is no way to get around the categories table?

let's put it this way

you can manipulate the categories/items in a single table if you want

it's messy and difficult

or you can normalize your data and have drop-dead simple queries to do the re-sequencing, display, and maintenance of your data

your choice

rudy

waldemar

I'd be normalising the data as suggested by r937. I do database maintenance work, built by other ... and I have seen some databases that are not normalised and I have written some pretty "sad, indepth, embedded" queries to finally get the data out ....

Originally posted by r937
    let's put it this way

you can manipulate the categories/items in a single table if you want

it's messy and difficult

or you can normalize your data and have drop-dead simple queries to do the re-sequencing, display, and maintenance of your data

your choice

rudy
    Mona

Well I was having a longer discussion with a professional database engineer who gave me interesting insights about "over-normalizing" a database... In this case, this category-form would be indeed the only time I would need the normalisation...

To be honest I was hoping there would be an elegant SQL solution to this issue... (maybe it's possible, to somehow join the same table to itself and include the intPosition that I need); but I guess I have to re-think this whole subject...

thanks for help guys!