Unanswered: Progress - Coldfusion: JDBC DSN setup

Using Coldfusion to connect to a progress database running on a solaris host.

In Coldfusion the DSN setup is

CF Data Source Name dummy
    JDBC URL jdbc.JdbcProgress:T:localhost:6000:dbname
    Driver Class com.progress.sql.jdbc.JdbcProgressDriver
    Driver Name ----don't know value----
    Username user
    Password password

resulting error message...
    Connection verification failed for data source: its
    []java.sql.SQLException: SQLException occurred in JDBCPool while attempting to connect: java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver.
    The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: SQLException occurred in JDBCPool while attempting to connect: java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver.

Hi

Although not that familiar with the Progress JDBC driver, when that error occurs with our JDBC driver, it usually indicates that you don't have the necessary JDBC driver in your classpath. Typically, your classpath would look something like

Classpath=c:\openlink\jdbc2\opljdbc2.jar;

where the jar file contains the openlink JDBC information. You should have something like that setup for your environment. If this is not the case, I believe ColdFusion also has an option were you need to setup your Classpath that might be different from the System one. Again, add the necessary JAR files for Progress into this location.

Emmon Simbo
    Technical Services Manager
    OpenLink Software

Thanks Emmon for your advice, I modified the CLASSPATH accordingly but the same error still results. I am currently investigating on wether it could be a licensing problem.

Zander

Is this still a problem?

I managed to get my ColdFusion Setup going yesterday and I had a similar problem to you. In the end, I did a couple of things. I had a CLASSPATH environment defined for my user which pointed to the actual jar file, secondly, I definied it using the JVM and JAVA setting via the administrator. With these defined, I was able to connect to my database.

HTH
    Emmon

Are you using CFMX? If so, Install the temp jrpatch.jar file (search for it on Macromedia support) and you should get more detailed error messages. I have the jdbc connection setup with a merant connection but not openlink. Can you tell me how you have your options configured for the openlink driver?

Thanks,

Hi

I did a couple of things.

I added my jar file located /home/openlink/jdk1.4/opljdbc3.jar. This is all taken care of by the shell script script openlink.sh

After running this script, I restarted my coldfusion with these settings as part of my environment, don't believe this is really necessary but just in case, and in the Java and JVM settings, I added the directory structure incl. jar file to my settings, restarted CF

From the Datasources section, I added a new setting for Other and simply added

URL = jdbcpenlink://emmon/SVT=SQLServer 2000/uid=sa/pwd=/database=northwind

Driver Class = openlink.jdbc2.Driver

That was it. It connected to my SQLServer db and I was able to write simple statements.

I have two connections, one using a Type 3 driver and the other using the OpenLink Type 4 JDBC driver for Virtuoso

HTH