Unanswered: SQL/Access-Linked Tables - RI rule

We just DTS'ed table structures and data from Access 97 to SQL 2000. We are still using Access97 as the front end and linking the tables from SQL2000.

When trying to add to a previous record in one of the tables(tblNotes), I keep getting a raiseerror that reads 'could not locate entry for error 778249 in sysmessages (#2758).'

sysmessages error 778249 reads:'Cannot add or change record. Referential integrity rules require a related record in table ''tblVendors''.'

the 2 tables are linked to a common table. All three tables have a field named 'reg' that is their common link. Any ideas???

Re: SQL/Access-Linked Tables - RI rule

Q1 Any ideas???

A1 Maybe.

However, the action(s) causing the error described is not completely clear i.e.("trying to add to a previous record" Is this something that occurs with update statements, when inserting new rows, or with both types of statements, etc.?). Nor is the exact nature of the DRI and / or other integrity constraints that exist which may or may not be directly involved clear.

The error described i.e.("Referential integrity rules require a related record in table ''tblVendors''"), often simply means exactly what it says.

You may wish to consider posting the table schemas involved, including DRI constraints and the code of any procs involved (sample data to use to reproduce the issue would also assist others in providing more useful feedback).