Talking Unanswered: Volunteer needs Toronto database mentor...

In 1996 I did SQL-7 as one of the components of my Programming/Systems Analysis Diploma at the Institute for Computer Studies, and subsequently branched into web design and webmastering. I also took a starter course as an introduction to perl.

The web side of the IT business has gone down the tubes, and the three "database programmers" I contracted over the last few years to do work for clients were hugely disappointing - none of them delivered so much as a demo page.

So I am looking for a mentor somewhere in the Toronto GTA (I am located at Bathurst and Steeles) to help me re-learn databases - whether SQL, MySQL, ASP, Oracle or something else - in exchange for some free work - whether database programming, web design, webmastering, or something else. It would be immensely useful if the mentor also combined it with PHP or other database-web connection device.

I really need someone to work with one on one because I know I can't make it by myself just reading a book on the subject. I can offer references and provide examples of my own web work.

Please PM me here, or email me at jim@bloorstreetwest.com.

Thanks in advance for any consideration you can offer...

Hi. I can help you.

Hi,

I am having almost 6 years experience with Oracle, PL-SQL, SQL Server. MS ACCESS etc. Design and deveopment of Application software.

Currently, I am engaged in some .ASP development, as well as SQL Server database. I can guide you on phone calls, Sample CDs etc. You may guide me on my .ASP things.

Well, mail me at : vshah@ugnusa.com. I am in Chicago.

Thanks,

Sorry, vsshah...

We seem to have a little bit of a language problem, and you being in Chicago would not work for me. I also included ASP as one of the things I would like to learn, not a skill I already have.

As I stated in my original post...

"So I am looking for a mentor somewhere in the Toronto GTA (I am located at Bathurst and Steeles) to help me re-learn databases - whether SQL, MySQL, ASP, Oracle or something else - in exchange for some free work - whether database programming, web design, webmastering, or something else. It would be immensely useful if the mentor also combined it with PHP or other database-web connection device."

"I really need someone to work with one on one because I know I can't make it by myself just reading a book on the subject."

I had an opportunity to do virtual mentoring across Canada, but I turned it down for the same distance reason.

I appreciate the offer... thanks anyway.