Unanswered: Storage manager question for ON-Bar

IDS.2000 v9.21 / AIX 4.3.3

I'm currently configuring and testing backups for a smallish (< 4 Gb) Informix instance that I'll be rolling into prod. (new server) sometime next month. Don't have all the specs on the new server but am being told that the backups will be sent across the network. I'm assuming then, for the ON-Bar backups (if that's what we end up going with), that I won't be able to use ISM 2.2 (supports only backups to a local host). I would like to know what then would be the next best 3rd party storage manager to accomplish this. From what I can tell my options are the following:

Legato
    Veritas
    HP Omniback
    Tivoli

If anyone would care to recommend one or more of these products based on their own experience, cost, ease of setup, etc., I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Storage manager question for ON-Bar

Hi,

i have only experiences with legato networker and ism is a very small version of networker. with some unix and informix know how you should be able to setup the system up.
    there is the module NSR-INF(only a sh-script) out there from legato with that you can backup informix instances online and over network(xbsa). this module is very expensive(~10k$), and the low budget solution is:

-create backup-files and use them as backup-devices in $ONCONFIG
    -make you onbar backup
    -save these backup-files over network e.g. dd if=./backup1 | rsh <BACKUPSERVER_WITH_TAPE_DEVICE> dd of=<TAPE_DEVICE>
    -while desaster recovery you have to carefully restore you "backupfiles" in the right order
    I DO NOT RECOMMEND this solutions, but it is possilbe an i don't want do restore any critical data on this way.*g

the other backup-systems have all the xbsa-api and modules to back up informix databases.

so long

peter pfeffer

Originally posted by crafuse
    IDS.2000 v9.21 / AIX 4.3.3

I'm currently configuring and testing backups for a smallish (< 4 Gb) Informix instance that I'll be rolling into prod. (new server) sometime next month. Don't have all the specs on the new server but am being told that the backups will be sent across the network. I'm assuming then, for the ON-Bar backups (if that's what we end up going with), that I won't be able to use ISM 2.2 (supports only backups to a local host). I would like to know what then would be the next best 3rd party storage manager to accomplish this. From what I can tell my options are the following:

Legato
    Veritas
    HP Omniback
    Tivoli

If anyone would care to recommend one or more of these products based on their own experience, cost, ease of setup, etc., I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Chris

thanks for the info, Peter...

thanks for the info, Peter...