Question Unanswered: How to debug a ASP code

Hi Guys!

How to debug a ASP code using Visual InterDev 6.0, like we do in VB?

Is it possible?

I´m using Windows XP Professional + IIS + SQL

Thanks

Do alot of Response.Writes()!

Also very helpfull is to turn off the option in IE:
    "show user friendly http error messages" found under

tools / internet options / "tab" advanced / "section" browsing

The same applies for IsAdmin where you'll defenitly want to turn on, enable client side debugging.

Hope this will help u as well.
    Never try to beat your oponent. Let your oponent try to beat you.

Unfortunatly there is now way to debug asp-code like you do in other non-scripting languages. The only thing you can really do is put alot of Response.Write in your code and the occasional Response.End to stop page-execution. Allthough this method is really lame, once you get used to it it works pretty good.
    Frettmaestro
    "Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand!"

Thanks for the help, guys...

I'm also running Visual Studio 6 on Windows XP Prof. + IIS + SQL. With Windows 2000, I was able to create a project in Visual Interdev w/an assortment of .asp, .htm, & javascript pages. Throughout development of these pages, I was able to debug (including my .asp pages w/no problem) using VI 6.0. Are you saying that VI 6.0 isn't compatible w/Windows XP in that it will not debug .asp pages AT ALL??? There's no work around? If so, what software application(s) can be used to develop & debug ASP pages in Windows XP???

I don't think that you can really debug ASP pages in whatever that is. And that is because it is a scripting manguage. You are not compiling the scripts, you are not doing anything like that. You can't compare VB with VBScript (asp). Debugging is not finding syntax errors
    In asp you have to make the debugging manually (response.write)

Enjoy

Question

I'm sorry, but that's not exactly where I meant to go w/the ???

My dilemna is same as that posed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312880

My project isn't to debug the asp code contained in my pages as per say... I'm trying to enable client script debugging of Active Server Pages on a Windows XP- Based Computer. This feature is available with Visual Interdev. Is there someone in the audience whose VI 6.0 ASP Debugging is functioning properly. If so, what are your configurations???

Thumbs up

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Operating System: Windows XP Pro/Software Package: Visual Studio/Software: Visual Interdev 6

Original Error Message: “Unable to set server into correct debugging state automatically” when trying to debug an asp application locally using Visual Interdev 6.

One important change is to set DCOM Identity on Catalog Class to “Interactive User”. This is preferred in the case local debugging.

Just FYI, these are the steps that happen behind the scenes as part of automatic debugging.

Mainly they are:
    1. Set the application protection for the Virtual Dir/Application in IIS to “High Isolation”
    2. Enables the debugging flags for the application in IIS
    3. Creates a COM+ package corresponding to the application being debugged and the identity is set to the user when you enter credentials to start debugging. It is possible for the COM+ package to sometimes become corrupted. In which case you'd delete that instance from the COM+ applications.

Be sure to set the identity on the COM+ package to your Domain account, debugging should worked just fine. Also, take a look at the White Paper below which has walk thrus & most of the known issues with debugging:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/te...idebugging.htm
    Last edited by GIS-Miami; 10-02-03 at 18:50.