Question Unanswered: Concurrent User Connections !

I am getting into a serious problem over the
    Concurrent User Connections issue. On the database, it shows something like 10 connections per user. Any idea how can i optimise the number of connections. I currently have something like 20+ users who might connect concurrently.

I am having a similar problem using Tomcat webserver in that the connection pooling on the client (tomcat server) is not releasing connections.

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by wga22
    connection pooling on the client (tomcat server) is not releasing connections.
    And that's the whole point of connection pooling...

Fair enough. I should be more specific. The connection pooling mechanism I am using is one a coworker before me wrote. On some webservers either it, or the DB2 client is not releasing connections back to the pool and is holding 60+ connections open at the database server when my pool is only set to hold 5.

Does the db2 client control the pooling of the connections, or must I specifically pool them within java via the db2java.zip drivers from May 2003? My DBA (who is most familiar with DB2 Server related issues), believes that any pooling in Java is redundant to what the linux DB2 client is already doing that the java app communicates through via the drivers. He is the source of much of my confusion

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by wga22
    Fair enough. I should be more specific. The connection pooling mechanism I am using is one a coworker before me wrote. On some webservers either it, or the DB2 client is not releasing connections back to the pool and is holding 60+ connections open at the database server when my pool is only set to hold 5.

Does the db2 client control the pooling of the connections, or must I specifically pool them within java via the db2java.zip drivers from May 2003? My DBA (who is most familiar with DB2 Server related issues), believes that any pooling in Java is redundant to what the linux DB2 client is already doing that the java app communicates through via the drivers. He is the source of much of my confusion
    DB2 JDBC drivers do support connection pooling; however, it requires that programmers use those options, either directly or via the application server (which in its turn may or may not use driver functions).

I'm not familiar with the latest versions of Tomcat so I can't really tell how they implement JDBC connection pooling and where the unreleased connections come from.