Unanswered: Basic Books on Adabas & Natural

It seems difficult to find basic, introductory books on Adabas & Natural.

Hello! (BTW) I am a programmer who used to write Natural programs and COBOL programs which called Adabas back in the 1980s. I also did a little on one contract in 1996. I want to revamp my Natural/Adabas skills plus, of course, learn basic changes, to the Natural language (including SQL) and to Adabas, since then.

It seems that for any other language or tool, such as COBOL or Visual Basic or JCL, one can get a single book that will teach you the fundamentals. But it appears that the Software AG website wants to sell you entire series of courses, at $100 per unit, instead of any basic intro book (that actually tells you the programming fundamentals). I've tried this before and could not readliy find third party books like this, either.

Can anyone tell me about a book or source of books, such that, maybe, at most, I need only get one Adabas book and one Natural book, and be up to date on essential programmer's knowledge of Adabas and Natural?

Re: Basic books on ADABAS and Natural

"WH&O International Publications" used to publish a number of good books about these products. If you are still interested and they are available I recommend them to you.

Cheers,

Perc

hi all,

Perc can you please recommend books and also let me know from where i should get syntax of READ and FIND commands used in ADABAS?

-MS

The books you can get for ADABAS are from here http://www.whobooks.com/index.html . I will see if I can find it elsewhere.
    Last edited by Grafixx01; 08-01-07 at 19:21.

Provided Answers: 10
    Bryan, if this eBook is free on the internet then the OP can buy it for themselves - you should not be handing out material that you paid for without permission.
    George
    Home | Blog

Try the usual internet book sources, like amazon.com. Adabas/Natural isn't used too much anymore, a lot of those books have probably wound up in recycling bins or in the trash.

I hit the thrift stores quite a bit, and will keep an eye out. You never know where they will pop up.

There should be plenty of ADABAS/Natural books on eBay or Amazon. I mostly get all my books from them nowadays. This too much dependency on technology can be a pain sometimes.

language or tool

It seems that for any other language or tool, such as COBOL or Visual Basic or JCL, one can get a single book that will teach you the fundamentals. But it appears that the Software AG website wants to sell you entire series of courses, at $100 per unit, instead of any basic intro book (that actually tells you the programming fundamentals). I've tried this before and could not readliy find third party books like this, either.

This is all useful stuff, glad i joined!